Iron deficiency

jintie
jintie Member Posts: 114
Hi all,

has anyone had an iron deficiency post chemo/radio and whilst on hormones treatment. I have not had my period in over 12 months (I’m 42) and find it strange to have mild iron deficiency... especially when my diet has not changed.
GP wants me to take iron tablets for 2 months.  Oncologist wants to see me...

thanks

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    @SoldierCrab has had ongoing iron deficiency since her chemo some 6 years ago I believe.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi Chev, 
    I have a good diet and I am now 59 I had no issues with low iron prior to treatment but now need infusions approximately 6 monthly since treatment I just dont seem to keep Iron stores. 

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Chemo is weird. I have always had problems with my iron stores. Almost non existent. Since my chemo regime, my iron store levels are really good. 
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    I barely eat meat but my iron levels are good.

Since chemo my liver function is better than before  I had it? Ive lost a lot of weight and cut sugar out, so maybe that helped.

My problem seems to be a Vitamin B defiency, so I now take a supplement.  What can you do for a Vitamin D deficiency??
    as they told me not to expose myself to too much sun.  Any foods rich in Vit D?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Vitamin D capsules are the easy way! Otherwise most fishy things are good - fish, cod liver oil, caviar! 
  • Nefertari
    Thanks Afraser, eat loads of fish. I don't think I can stomach cod liver oil or caviar    :dizzy:
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Luckily I love caviar (well no, sturgeon roe, can’t afford real caviar!) and fish oil I take as capsules. My vitamin D level was not good in spite of regularly eating fish when I was first diagnosed so I had to get it raised pronto before chemo. Happily it has stayed good. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    My BC nurse told me we only need about ten minutes of sun daily in order to get our Vit D quota. She said this will not be a problem for me to do. Not sure if that amount of time is true. The more skin you expose, the more vit D that gets through. Might be worth googling this one.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Hope you find this link helpful

https://www.osteoporosis.org.au/sites/default/files/files/vitdconsumerguide.pdf

Copy and paste from the link above

Summary of sun exposure recommended for bone health Skin type Summer Winter (depends on latitude) Moderately fair skin How long? 5-10 minutes, most days 7-30 minutes (depending on latitude), 
  • Nefertari
    Yes very helpful link thank you!