Work post chemo

Megs04
Megs04 Member Posts: 47
Hi all. I did see a work group cant wwkrkout how to post to it
So here goes. Im not sure what to do or how
Ive worked all rhe way through chemo
Due to  finances. I furnished chemo in july had surgery in  August
Ive strated a new position on contract for 1 more month,  slight chance of extension. May revert back to previous position. 4 pay increments down. Thing is im actually feeling fatigued. Almost like on chemo. I have no energy its getting worse each day and its making life tough. I don't know what to do. Im worried its going to get worse. Im suprised as i though continue to feel better not worse im still on herceptin.  Due to start taximlifen this week. I dont want to risk losing this contract. I don't know if its too late to apply as the cancer is gone or if i could afford to take mortgate insurance at 75%. Pay. I might not afford the house. I feel like if i work i can't have a life.
I think just needed to offload as i dont want to get streseed but if anyone has ideas id love it. Im struggling with wishing my body was like before.
Anyway thanks

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @Megs04 I don't know what the answer is.  I'm a year out from chemo and I am struggling.  I get through each week only to collapse on the weekend.  
  • Megs04
    Megs04 Member Posts: 47
    And it sux💖
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I've done this twice, and I've got to say it's hard either way. First time I kept working, which was tough but I did it. I was out of work the second time and absolutely crashed. I guess it depends on your job, your workplace and your temperament, but I'd say if you can keep going, do it. If you can't, stop. There is no yardstick to measure how you are going because everyone's reactions are so different.
    Thing is, you feel like shit anyway and that does not get any better if you are sitting at home, bored out of your bonnet and going down the financial gurgler, Mxx
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I have gone back to full time work plus on call. Sometimes I border on falling apart but make myself trudge on as it is the only way we can get back on our financial feet. It isn’t easy and my stress levels need constant care but I am a determined (some might say stubborn) person. In many ways it has been good for me as I haven’t had time to dwell on the negative. I make sure I rest when I can and veg out when I am not on call. Find out what activity relaxes you both physically and mentally and take time out to indulge. Best wishes.
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    Not sure if you’re asking can you get mortgage insurance? If so, the answer will likely be no.. I looked at this just this week and was told all cancers would now be void for claims
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Just remember,  your body has been through a huge amount over recent months, let alone the emotional impact of a cancer diagnosis and treatment. You don't mention radiotherapy,  so I'm guessing you didn't have that, but if you did, that can also cause fatigue. I was told at the beginningthat it would take at least as long as treatment lasted to recover from it. 

I'm going to use a phrase that I loathe, but it fits the bill here..... be kind to yourself.

I can't answerthe financial side of your question, though.

Take care
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited October 2019
    Make sure you have bloods done and check if anaemic post surgery or ensure no thyroid issyes which can contribute . I also needed a multivitamin despite a good diet as my body was depleted from chemo and surgery.
    I had to pace myself. I'd have a short nap when I got home from work so I could get tea prepped. 
    I increased exercise very slowly and found if I overdid it I'd crash in a couple of weeks. I still have to pace myself 3 years on. It's just the way it is. 
    I found a short walk at lunch helped also. Breaking exercise up seemed to work better.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Eight weeks into full time work and my mind is still crazily active but my body is struggling. So fatigued first thing in the morning and then at the end of the day. Week after next I will be doing extra hours, 8 til 6 for ten days straight, acting Manager. Oh well, we are slowly recovering financially. I remind myself of that every time I start to slide downhill. I guess the annoying bit, is that I was feeling over all this when bam, it hit me. However on a positive note, my neuropathy has settled down to just a tightness and light pain. 🤸🏼‍♀️🎉That is a pretty good reason to party when I get more energy.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Return to work can be much harder than anticipated but sometimes, needs must.