Huge head - need help!

kamada
kamada Member Posts: 70
I have always had problems finding hats big enough to fit my big melon and usually have to settle for ones that just sit high on my head. Will be 👨‍🦲 in a couple of weeks and have found 4 turban type things that fit but the wig stocking I tried was far too tight and advertised bamboo caps to wear under hats are at least 3 to 4 cms too small. I will need a soft wide brimmed sun hat that will come right down over my head as well. I am not one of you beautiful young ones who rock the no hair look so this isn’t making it any easier to face up to the inevitable. I would love to hear from anyone who has the same problem and has found a solution. 😘👒

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Hi @kamada All the hats I bought ended up being too big once I lost my hair. It is amazing how much bigger your head is with hair. Once the hair is gone, you may find hats that fit perfectly.
  • kamada
    Hi @Blossom1961! That would be nice but I am not hopeful because I wasn’t exaggerating about my boof head! 😂 I will definitely try again after the hair is gone if nothing else turns up though.  Thank you 😘
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Men’s hats are often available in larger sizes
  • lmh0603
    lmh0603 Member Posts: 2
    I buy men’s bucket hats online for my everyday hats. Kooringal men’s hats for nicer hats. 
  • jintie
    jintie Member Posts: 114
    I used scarves.  Worked well!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    I just used adjustable mens baseball caps. If I wanted I could pin a little flower to it or tie a bit of a scarf around it but i never bothered. Believe me, you will want something on your head in the cold section of Coles and Woolies.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I never used a wig stocking so I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Most of the time, I wore beanies or scarves (given to me or picked up in Op Shops) - there's some great videos on how to tie them but I had a couple of easy ties that I could do without fuss.  I only wore a wig when I wanted to fly under the radar.
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    I'm like Blossom, thought I had a big boof head until I was bald and then everything was too big. 
    My new hair is so thick it looks like a shag pile rug, hoping that goes back to normal soon.  I just had it shaved again, Im liking the look or getting used to it?  Turbans were good and I had a couple of scarves that were pre tied or easy to tie,  I bought most of them from ebay, even one of those was too big when I lost my hair, it fits now I have hair again. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Some of those wig stockings are really just stockings. ...so ideas here....use a suitable large size stocking and cut and sew. Use large size cotton style bike shorts from Target ...cut of the leg and sew in to fit. 
    For caps you can just use a tube style anyway and tuck in.

This site has a filter for heads over 58cm you can put on. Other than that you can consider tying your own scarf and using just a visor that just sits on front of your head. 

https://www.jasfashion.com.au/
  • kamada
    Mmmm sounds like hair might take up more room than I thought! I think I will stop stressing about it atm and use scarves and the caps I have already before buying anything that mightn’t fit . Appreciate the heads up about cold sections @Brenda5  - wouldn’t want to look like a newly plucked chook in public! 😂. Can’t quite imagine me getting to the stage of shaving off new hair yet @Nefertari 😳. Just now I reckon I would be happy with the shag pile rug look but who knows. 😂 Thanks to all for sharing your solutions! It is scary to think about losing my hair  but I will obviously be in good company 😘
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Have you attended a Look good Feel Better workshop?  They will give you suggestions on tying scarves et cetera

https://lgfb.org.au/workshop/

Hope that helps 
    Take care
  • Nefertari
    ha ha kamada, 

I was so pleased to see the new growth,  when it was short it looked good and I got lots of comments about it suiting me.  As it grew, it did not hang but sat up about 1 inch in height - I usually have dead straight hair. 

Someone said it looked like Morgan Freeman's (slap).  So I went and got a number four shave all over, very liberating.

It is like fleece lol, when it gets a proper consistency I will think about a style.  I was far more affected by my eyebrow loss but thankfully they have sprouted normally.
  • Nefertari
    I just saw primeks link, I bought a few from Jas.  

Even though Im old, this has been my favourite headwear and one I got heaps of compliments on

https://www.jasfashion.com.au/pink-butterfly-and-ribbon-durag
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I have a huge head (mens hats only for me) and I used the little bamboo hats and bandanas. Plenty of stretch in them and available in lots of colours and patterns.