Annual Review

primek
primek Member Posts: 5,392
So this years annual review with the breast suregon had a bit more than the 4 minute discussion. (Yep 500 k drive for 4 minutes usually) This year we discussed my allergan implants.
We discussed I had both tits cut off so not to become a worrying mess as my first cancer was consealed by breast density until I could feel it. We discussed my concerns over implants initially and was assured they would never cause health issues from the implant product. We discussed that the current stats from cancer council Australia of 1 in 1000 to 1 in 10,000 is a huge variation...and just plain guesswork and I don't consider 1 in 1000 rare. (If you bought a lottery ticket with only a thousand sold you'd be confident of good chance of winning) also I do not believe already having proved my body couldnt stop cancer that I should have the "lets wait till you have cancer before we remove them attitude". I pointed out obviously those people had never experienced cancer treatment and it's impact on your health. ..like I would want to risk doing that again. 

Sooooo...after a full scan to check no lymphoma of fluid build up that could be lymphoma I've been referred to a plastic surgeon. I could have chosen to have them replaced with the new current considered safe implant...but my comment...sadly I have no confidence that in 5 years we won't have new information that they are a problem also.

Sigh. This was my 1st year with no surgery since diagnosis.  I doubt it will be happening this year but probably some time in next 2...unless of course I have a new cancer to deal with prior then of course. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I am so sorry you are going through the mill again, but fully understand your concern. The statistical chance of anything happening is still unclear (but not so unclear that the suss implants aren’t being removed!) but as you say, removing worry is a large part of treatment too. Best wishes for your appointment with the PS. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    Good on you!  It is deeply personal. 
    Best wishes for your explant surgery and discussion with PS to determine your best option.
    Take care 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    😢
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    Oh dear - all the best with your appt with the plastic surgeon @primek .... do what is right for you  xxx
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    No, no more cancer, don't think that cos it doesn't bear thinking about. Best wishes with what decide to do @primek
    Cathxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I think it sounds like the right decision for you. I suspect I'd be doing the same in your position. Take care, K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Oh, @primek.  What a difficult situation after coming so far.  But I would do the same in your place.  It's not worth the anxiety let alone it actually happening.
  • Shakalker
    Shakalker Member Posts: 84
    Best wishes to you,@primek may you feel at peace with whatever choice you run with.
    I was determined at the start not to go for reconstruction, I didn’t want to have to have it done twice, I had already seen that some of the implants were either rupturing or causing pain and other issues and I was too much of a sook to to try the lottery in hope of getting a good one.
    I’m wishing for you a good outcome that you are comfortable with.
    Kindest regards 
    S x