Lessons learned

Michelle_R
Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
edited May 2012 in General discussion

Hi my dear friends,

Haven't posted lately, but had second chemo yesterday and so far so good - week 2 (of 18) ticked off - with just minor tummy effects and dexamethasone insomnia for a couple of days.

I wanted to share a story of courage with you.  In the lift at my oncologist's building, a young woman got in with her partner - no wig or scarf, and completely bald.  She had her chin up, and her gaze straight ahead, proud but no eye contact with anyone.  I so badly wanted to say " You look beautiful" but was hesitant and just smiled at her as I left the lift. (Sound familiar, Chris?) I regretted it all day.

The next evening I went to the  LGFB workshop at the Cancer Council.  A beautiful young woman in a cloche hat immediately came and sat beside me.  She whisked off her hat and was instantly recognizable as the girl in the lift.  We talked without reservations until the workshop started, and have exchanged phone numbers so that we can talk more.  We share the same surgeon.  Kate has had 8 surgeries in 3 years, and her courage and sweet nature shine out like a magnet.  She said her secret was to take one day at a time.

I am so glad to have met her.  Sometimes just a smile means more than we know and can lead to a wonderful connection.  In future I will never be too shy to smile or speak to someone.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend.  I was blown away when a knock at the door was our 4 boys (men!) - 3 from interstate and 1 from overseas!  They had planned it for weeks and it was the happiest Mother's Day ever!

Love and hugs - stay well, be strong -

Michelle xxx

Love and hugs

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015

That is so beautiful.  Right there is a couple of great positives you can talk about and look back at and say that your journey has brought to you.

I am always searching for some positives in this journey we have to travel.

Good luck, well done and stay strong.

Mich xo

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015

Hi Michelle, Thankyou for the post. I am amazed at the strengths on here and love to hear stories how people overcome adversity.

Kathy.

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015

Hi Michelle, Thankyou for the post. I am amazed at the strengths on here and love to hear stories how people overcome adversity.

Kathy.

• annie2
    annie2 Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2015
    Thats lovely.I too met a lovely woman at a workshop.we were put next to each other
    and exchanged numbers.we are now best
    of friends with so much in common.Our
    kids are even the same ages.Our 11 year old
    boys have become best of friends too.
    I believe people come into our lives for a
    reason.Just like you im glad i smiled and
    said hello x
  • Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Hi Michelle,  I too have made some wonderful friendships through my bc journey.  Met some amazing people and then when I speak at functions I am told how inspirational I am.  This blows me away.  We all have something special to give to each other.  Those of us who have been touched by bc or any other cancer seem to "see"  and "show" these special somethings.  How wonderful for your "boys" to show up.  They must love their mum very much.  I am glad that your treatment is being fairly kind to you. XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Hi Michelle,  I too have made some wonderful friendships through my bc journey.  Met some amazing people and then when I speak at functions I am told how inspirational I am.  This blows me away.  We all have something special to give to each other.  Those of us who have been touched by bc or any other cancer seem to "see"  and "show" these special somethings.  How wonderful for your "boys" to show up.  They must love their mum very much.  I am glad that your treatment is being fairly kind to you. XLeonie

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015

You are all so right - the positives and the friendships made mean so much on this journey - and if passing them on inspires other women and helps them along the way then that is a bonus.  I wish I could hear you speak, Leonie - I find your posts very special.  Love to you all,

Michelle xx

• serenity11
    serenity11 Member Posts: 143
    edited March 2015

Just a lovely story which reminds us of our families love and our own strengths as we move through our lives living with cancer. 

Glad that you chemo is treating you relatively "well".  Take care.