Stay in hospital after surgery

Lane
Lane Member Posts: 25
edited September 2019 in General discussion
Can someone tell me how long you are in hospital after breast cancer surgery. I am currently having chemo, which I finish in December, and will then have my operation (two lumpectomies in one breast). This will be followed by radiation at some stage. I wasn’t sure if it was a fairly short stay in hospital, or if it could be at least a week. Appreciate any info. 

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Depends on what you are having done. I had a mastectomy oneside no recon and was in for two days.
  • Lane
    Thanks for the info. Did the operation itself take very long?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @Lane
    Here's a link from the BCNA website that may help you with your question

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/treatment/surgery/

We all react differently to surgery and recovery

Take care
  • Lane
    Thanks Iserbrown
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I had a mastectomy - surgery late Friday 6pm, out Monday. 
  • CRM
    CRM Member Posts: 91
    I didn't stay overnight with the lumpectomy.  Had surgery around midday and went home about 4pm. 
  • Lane
    Doesn’t seem as though you’re kept in for long. Don’t know whether that’s good or bad. Hope it’s easy to cope by yourself when you go home.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hey @Lane.  I had lumpectomy and auxillary node dissection.  Stayed 2 nights.  A short stay is  a good thing.  Everyone feels better at home.  I didn't have much issues coping after a few days, the node surgery adds an extra dimension to it though and the bloody drain is probably the worst thing.
    All the best.
    xoxox
  • Lane
    That’s good to hear. So, is there a drain under your arm for a while? My surgeon will probably tell me all the details, but I’m not seeing her again for another six weeks.
  • CRM
    CRM Member Posts: 91
    @Lane The lumpectomy surgery is pretty quick.  About 40 minutes I think my surgeon said.  I was definitely sore for a few weeks but it didn't impact my life too much.  Getting dressed and undressed and trying to wash under my arm with soap was probably the hardest part.  The scar under my arm where I had 2 x lymph nodes removed hurt a lot more than the scar around my nipple to remove the tumor.  If you have all of your lymph nodes removed you will probably notice it a lot more.  I can only imagine if you have made it through chemo then you will breeze through surgery xx
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Not always for lumpectomy but definitely for the axillary surgery. So if you aren't having that you might get away without it.
  • Lane
    Thanks for all the info. My surgeon has hinted that she’ll be taking some lymph nodes, even though the ultrasound, mammogram, MRI, pet and ct scans haven’t identified any issues there. I guess the surgeon can’t be sure until she does the op. I 
  • LucyLou_71
    LucyLou_71 Member Posts: 10
    I had a lumpectomy and an auxiliary clearance and was in overnight.  I had a drain and had a visit for about 5 days from Silver Chain who checked the wounds and the drain - they also took it out.  
    I was in surgery for a few hours - they had to find the sentinel node and test that and then that resulted in my auxiliary clearance.  
    Take care x
  • Lane
    Thanks LucyLou
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Lumpectomy - I went in first thing in the morning, mostly tests during the day, surgery early evening, stayed in hospital 2 nights.
    Mastectomy - In during afternoon, surgery early evening, stayed in 2 or 3 nights (can't remember).