Swelling in the reconstructed breast

SonjaW
SonjaW Member Posts: 1 New Member
edited September 2019 in Health and wellbeing
Hi all, this is my first post.  

September 2017 I was diagnosed with 6cm tumour with node involvement - not visible on ultrasound or mammogram.  May 2018 I had a skin sparing mastectomy ‘L’ breast with a spacer.  In July 2018 I had the reconstruction done.
Since then I have been just getting on with life.  This included taking up running which of course gave me weight loss to the point where my implant was quite visibly outlined.  And I was happy with that.

However, a month ago I noticed swelling of the reconstructed breast.  I thought nothing of it.  However, yesterday I noticed it was quite noticeably enlarged.
Has anyone else ever had this before?

Thanks Sonja

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hi @SonjaW
    In my view I think it would be wise to get an appointment.
    Anything that doesn't seem right should be checked out.  
    take care

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Yep, make an appointment to see your surgeon. It's possibly just fluid, but that can cause other problems. If there s any heat in it, get to your GP as soon as you can. Ain't it the gift that keeps on giving? 
    MXX
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Any sudden enlargement needs investigation to exclude infection and should be done with haste. It may be just a seroma but nay be more. Was it an implant or own tissue reconstruction?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @SonjaW
    Hi!  Hope you are okay and able to get an appointment to find out what is causing the swelling!  
    Take care