Recommendations for private health insurer for reconstruction surgery

Karenp23
Karenp23 Member Posts: 21
edited September 2019 in General discussion
Hi,

I have not had private health insurance before and bit confused with it all. I was after some recommendations for PH insurance providers for when I proceed with my recon surgery. 

Comments

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    I was under the impression that health insurers will not cover procedures for pre- existing conditions, or at least there is a long waiting period. So you can't have a crook knee for years, take out insurance, then have a knee replacement. Check this before you sign up, I reckon.
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    @AllyJay is partially correct. Its illegal in Oz for insurers to discriminate against you based on conditions however there is usually a 12 month wait on pre existing conditions. 

Depending on where you are in your treatment though, this may work well for you and might be quicker than the public system 
  • Karenp23
    Karenp23 Member Posts: 21
    Yes I know that there is the 12 month waiting period, my surgeon has advised that to have any recon done this would be about 12months or later depending on how my treatment goes. At this stage they have suggested that I look into private cover now so when its time to decide on recon surgery your waiting period should be over
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I did the same thing for cataract surgery - however I was increasing my cover rather than starting a new insurance policy, with a full 12 months or more up my sleeve for new benefits to kick in. As it turned out, they waived the waiting period given my quite lengthy prior contribution, which was unexpected but nice.
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    I am essentially doing the same. I haven't picked an insurer yet but the not for profit ones so far seem good value for money. I think TUH is the best so far that I've looked at but you have to be involved in a union in some way 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I can't comment for this particular surgery but Health Partners comes up well with most things and some of the industry ones are good value (not sure about how they are to deal with).
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    HCF is my health insurer and they've given me no trouble at all with any BC related payment, including the BMX & DIEP recon. The PS's bill for the recon was $28,000. His gap was $8000 which my parents generously paid.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I’m with BUPA - in trouble over aged care just now but to be honest, I have had no problem at all. Alarming article recently about people having terrible financial problems over cancer treatment but I have had to pay remarkably little. It’s all been well covered, including three hospital stints. 
  • jintie
    jintie Member Posts: 114
    I have private health and went private for my bilateral mastectomy and DEIP reconstruction.  I was out of pocket approx $12,000 (for the plastic surgeon and for the anaesthetist).  There will be a waiting period ... I’m with Medibank and there’s a 12 month waiting period for pre-existing condition.