Fatigue

margabra
margabra Member Posts: 9
edited August 2019 in Newly diagnosed
Hi again, happy weekend to you all.
 I had my Lumpectomy last Monday and feel I am recovering well. 

Just a question thou, I have IDC, could that have been causing Fatigue for a while as it has been growing? 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I think many of us have felt we were tired prior diagnosis and sometimes experiencing long term stress. 
    If you think about our bodies and it  trying to deal with cancer (and failing) it could explain being tired. 
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Hi   @margabra   Last April I was diagnosed IDC  as well as widespread DCIS showing up on MRI.     I never felt a lump as it was very deep near the chest wall but looking back on things  Yes absolutely I was really tired all the time previous to diagnosis and had put it down to work. Just seemed whatever I did I had no energy. I'm sure my body was telling me something but I just started on more iron tablets etc.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  Great you are feeling in a good place after the lumpectomy. Onward and upward hey.  xo
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi margabra,
    funny you should say that, after I was diagnosed in October last year, I thought the exact same thing. I remember feeling so tired that I had to have a rest during the day especially just before diagnosis , I also put it down to working to much and other stresses in my life.
    Looking back obviously my body was trying to tell me something....

Take Care xx
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Hello @margabra
    In the year prior to diagnosis, I experienced fatigue and often spiked temperatures followed by chills. Blood tests showed no infection. I put it down to my asthma. Looking back- not so. It was my body attempting to fight the cancer. However at my last scans, when I mentioned it, my oncologist merely said "Hmmmmm"!

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I wonder if this is something they should look in to. I had flash moments of extreme tiredness where I was driving and suddenly I needed to snooze. Many times I stopped until the feeling passed. I was also feeling fatigued. I approached the Dr three months later who did bloods then shook her head unknowingly. Another
    Four months later I was diagnosed with BC.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I can't recall where it is but last year I read a study which found that there was some evidence that the growth itself of a breast tumour caused some CRCI. They were going to look at whether this could have some diagnostic benefit if I recall correctly. This would correlate with the experiences listed in this thread. Fascinating!
  • margabra
    Thank you EVERYONE, this thread has given me inspiration to get back on my exercise bike and try to get some energy! 
    Oh my god, its sad it has to come from others with breast cancer! I see there could be some truth in associated tiredness hey. I.m almost free of sugar food and correcting my diet, maybe that will help? Maybe not. I do wonder how I will get thru Radiation and possible a little chemo treatment with the tiredness. 

I really hope someone does do a study on this. Now that I see your answer's, honestly I'm a bit shocked its not been done!
    I'm just so new to all this support I've been getting but thank you all so much. xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @margabra

Here's a link to the BCNA website - fact sheets and booklets of which you will find beneficial including Exercise

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/booklets-and-fact-sheets/

This link from the Cancer council explains fatigue

https://www.cancervic.org.au/living-with-cancer/common-side-effects/fatigue

Take care and best wishes with ongoing treatment
  • margabra
    @iserbrown Thank you so much. I noticed reference to "before Cancer" used frequently!  My decision to get back on my exercise bike is a good one by the sound of it. Guess its time to get serious. You are all the most lovely people. 

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    We're all in this together! 
  • margabra
    @iserbrown, I appreciate that so much! I think I have had my first really down day today apart from the day the surgeon told me what I had! I tried to go with the feeling and plan my week ahead. Thanks again and Good Night from Perth xxxxx