Attention Tasmanians!

kmakm
kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
edited August 2019 in Community news and events
The Otis Foundation have just announced they finally have a property in Tasmania. I hope you can all take advantage of this wonderful organisation and book a retreat. It's not on their website yet so they suggest you call them. 03 5444 1184.
Tagged:

Comments

• JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    That will be great for down here!
  • kmakm
    Book it @JoeyLiz! You and yours deserve it. K xox
  • JoeyLiz
    Would love to but i finished my treatment in December so would feel bad taking it from someone xx
  • kmakm
    @JoeyLiz It is available to anyone who's had breast cancer, at anytime. Priority is given to people visiting for the first time but that's it as far as restrictions are concerned. Lovely, please give them a call! You had a tough time of it and you give so much back here. You deserve a break. K xox
  • JoeyLiz
    Awww thanks hun xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    @JoeyLiz  You can book it within 12 months of finishing your active treatment.  Or if you need to have more treatment further down the line, when it finishes, that is the start of the next 12 months.   I started arranging mine in Oct last year (my treatment finished at Easter '18) and I visited Thredbo in April this year.  It was just terrific - a luxury that I never would have spent on myself otherwise!  My brother & sister in law (who looked after me thru my early appointments and surgery) came with us.  They'd never been there either.

It is the same with all things - whether a car park or the retreat - first in, best dressed - and they always have a number of dates available to book, not just one!  ;)  

Give it a go - if it doesn't work out, it's not because you didn't try.  xx

Your Breast Care nurse can give you the recommendation - My Onc did for me.  xx
  • kmakm
    @arpie I have not come across any restriction. I went on an Otis retreat last month, which was more than a year after active treatment finished. I explained my situation to them, wasn't insistent on a time or property, and they rang me the day after I sent the email to offer me a property 10 days later! I had to get the paperwork signed off by my GP and that was it.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I got that general 'feel' as well, @kmakm - it is so wonderful that they are so flexible. 

I believe they would rather have the available properties 'full by ANY BC survivor' than have it empty (on dates it is available.)  Obviously, the families keep it for themselves during most school holidays & 'prime time' - but that is totally OK!  

Occasionally they put up posts saying 'available this weekend' when some bookings are cancelled at the last minute for numerous reasons - so a great opportunity for those who can, to take up the offer on short notice - and I don't think they mind if you've used them before for a 'break'!  xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @JoeyLiz
    You are entitled to it so please ring and or email an enquiry.
    For me it was after active treatment when we reflect and need the down time.  I rang and enquired. They offered a couple of dates.  Once we greed on one they sent the paperwork which my GP signed and away we went. It was a Monday went to GP for zoladex injection and then we hit the road for a week.  A week full of relaxation and wonderful memories brought about by the generosity of the OTIS Foundation. 

Take care 

• JoeyLiz
    Thankyou for the encouragement ladies. I will check it out.
    Also good to know about for my patients!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    As far as I know, you can book at least once a year for ever (that's what I was told, anyway).  The only thing is that certain people will have priority - eg, newbies and end-of-life.  I wasn't able to use one last year but I'm booked into Aldinga, SA for the weekend in a couple of weeks (could have had it for longer but unable to take time off)