Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Hi Ladies

wendy55
wendy55 Member Posts: 774
Hi, Well its been 6 months at least since my last post, and what a 6 months it has been, I really felt that I needed to take a step back and just breathe, the new regime of oral chemo drugs was a hard gig and in the end and after a frank discussion with my oncologist,
it was time for another approach, and I knew what this meant, I had actually been preparing myself for some time and coming to grips with going back on to IV chemo, so in a matter of weeks, I had an appointment with a breast surgeon, was admitted for day surgery to have a port inserted, then I was given a two week washout period and then back on to a drug called abraxane, and I have to say I feel so much better, in fact it has to be the best drug I have been on in 6 years, I actually feel well, both my partner and myself can see how much of a difference this drug has made, I have an infusion every 7 days for 3 weeks then I get a 13 day break, although I am still fatigued, there is very little nausea and very little in the way of other side effects, except of course the big one, no hair, I finally had enough yesterday and went to my hairdresser and said take it all off, which was very little as it had been falling out for the last 10 days, anyway it was quite liberating!!! and as this is the second time around I certainly knew what to expect!
The previous six months have seen me virtually housebound and the oral chemo that I was on caused very bad nausea, but being pig-headed I wanted to continue with it until even I could see it was not working, so I gave it my best shot! but here I am, in such a better place, I find it hard to believe, after 6 years to feel this good.
I have been reading the posts that you have all been putting up, and once again I am in awe of the wonderful support and encouragement that you give to one another, this is a forum like no other,and I am very proud to be a part of it.
I do wish that I had been able to attend the Adelaide forum,however,I just was not able to make it, so sorry that I missed the opportunity of meeting up with Rosie again.
So, life goes on,now that I am in a better place emotionally and physically, I hope that I can make a contribution to this forum,
wendy55 

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Oh @wendy55 lovely to read that you are in a better place!  
    What a so and so the roller coaster of yuk that you have gone through!  Best part is now that is behind you!  You have a drug that is giving you a better outlook and hopefully improving all the time - bugger about the hair but oh well that's neither here nor there!
    Here's to improvement everyday!
    Sending a virtual a hug, take care
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Good to hear your happy news. We all understand trying to see the hard road through to the end and well done for sticking with it, but this sounds a better outcome all round. Best wishes.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Welcome back @wendy55 so glad to hear that you are feeling well with your current treatment.  wishing you well, regards Giovanna
  • suburbangirl
    suburbangirl Member Posts: 123
    Hi @wendy55, so very pleased you are feeling much better with your new treatment.
    Best wishes!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    So happy to see your post and things have improved for you.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Welcome back @wendy55
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Thanks for getting in touch @wendy55. Good to hear from you up there in the copper triangle. ( I am a South Australian in exile)

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hair shmair Wendy! Good on you for toughing it out and then making the decision to change. Tough. You are indeed one tough sista! Lovely to have you back. Big hug, K xox
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Well that's a turn around. Chemo that makes you feel better! Keep it coming. :)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Welcome back Wendy xx  All the best with your ongoing treatment xx
  • Shakalker
    Shakalker Member Posts: 84
    Welcome back Wendy, it’s good to hear you are feeling better xx
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Good to see you on here again Wendy.  Good that you are in a better place and moving forward.  Wishing you all the luck with the new regime. Don't worry about the hair thingy.  Big hug from North Queensland xo
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Good to hear from you again and to know you are doing ok . I have been on Abraxane  IV and coped with it fairly well. My hair even grow back while I was on the treatment.  I think I was on Abraxane for over 2 years before I had to change treatment.  I have just spent most of the winter in hospital, from end of June until Yesterday.  After my last chemo , I had temperatures over 38 ,so my oncologist told me to report to the hospital.  Things did not improve and I had trouble breathing.  I spent some time in ICU. And found out I had pneumonia.  I lost alot of weight and found it difficult to walk again. I spent my last few weeks in rehab, to put on some condition and get me walking again. I was determined to get going as I wanted to go home. I now have lympodema in my L leg which I think is from the mets in my pelvic area and the top of my femur which may be affecting  the lymph glands. I am . due for scans and see my oncologist next week so I will find out more then. Its so good to be home. All I can say is you cant keep a good woman down. That goes for all of us.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Oh crumbs @wendy_h67 - a winter like no other!  Pleased to read you are home but goodness me what a rollercoaster of yuk  Take care and here's hoping everyday is getting better and better!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Good luck with your treatments--both Wendy's. Must be just our age that you see names crop up in clusters from various periods in the past. In 40 years there will be a heap of Charlottes going through this, unless someone can unlock the problem in the meantime.
    Mxx