Diet changes for tnbc

Loobylou
Loobylou Member Posts: 49
edited August 2019 in Health and wellbeing
Evening!
I have been doing some research into changes in diet to help keep tnbc at bay, but would love to know what you guys have implemented.
I know karma/fate may ultimately have other ideas but I am in a good head space and want to kick this f***** to touch if I can and get a lot healthier.
Thanks to taxol and steroids I am also quite a bit overweight and currently partway through rads with Capecitabine to follow, so I know medically I am doing all I can.

thanks x

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    I have been an avid green juicer since my second diagnosis. I bought a slow pressed juicer. That way the nutrients last quite some time if stored in glass. I Juice green apples, cucumber, baby cos lettuce and celery. I usually add a piece of ginger and some fresh lime to the juicer. I make my juice every 3rd day. 
    Paula x
  • Loobylou
    Thank you @mum2jj
    did you eliminate any other foods?
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    No, I reduced alcohol consumption. I wasn’t really a big drinker, but now don’t drink unless I go out or have people over. 8 years on, I may occasionally break that rule. It is rare for me to have more than 2 drinks. 
    I just try and include lots of fresh salads and veggies in my diet. I am in no way vegetarian though. 
    Paula x
  • Loobylou
    I am the same re alcohol, one drink in 6 months since diagnosis!
    i looked at going vegetarian, may still lean that way.
  • strongtogether
    strongtogether Member Posts: 167
    I am really keen to stop eating all processed meat like bacon and ham immediately. I am also keen to reduce all meat drastically, cut out alcohol, and minimize dairy. I just dont think I'd miss any of it.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    By and large sticking to the fundamentals works well. Eat more vegetables, grains, fruit. Eat less red meat. Eat more fish, eat less processed food. Dairy has its place, still a bit of debate about full fat or low fat. Reduce animal fat and sugar. Eat more nuts. Eggs in moderation. Alcohol ditto and a bit more. Don’t smoke. There’s a rule of thumb about cooking - you can have fast, good, cheap but only two together. So fast, cheap food is usually not good. Cheap slow food can be good. Good fast food is usually expensive....and so on. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I go with science. The science boffins say that no level of alcohol is safe, so I've dramatically cut that down. Can't quite bring myself to eliminate it completely because I enjoy it so very much. However I rarely have more than one or two glasses a week. Processed meat is also a no no, the nitrates. So bacon, ham, prosciutto et al have disappeared from my diet.

Being overweight or obese is a risk factor for cancer, so I'm trying to minimise sugar. When I've done this in the past the weight has come off quite steadily. And it gets easier as you go along because you break the addiction.

If cancer treatment has put you into menopause you need to be careful about your calcium intake. My dietician said four serves a day. It's one of the most easily absorbed nutrients from food. If cholesterol is a problem, stick to low fat dairy. No soft drink or fruit juice is a good idea also. Empty, sugary calories. Fresh fruit comes with fibre is better.

The science round fasting is coming in thick and fast. There are lots of different ways to do it. I tried the 5:2 but it was too difficult for me. My preferred one is trying to have 14 hours between my last bit of food at night and my first bit of food the next day. This is a good evidence based article that talks about cell repair and some other interesting benefits:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section1

Green leafy veg is another thing I'm looking to increase in my diet. Half of our plates should be covered in veg, and there's some hopeful science round several leafy greens when it comes to cancer. And even if it gets disproved, I'll take the fibre, nutrients and low kj deliciousness!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/leafy-green-vegetables

Hope this helps! K xox
  • Makday
    Makday Member Posts: 17

I am currently reading this book. Miriam definitely has some sage advice in this book, her nutritional values, and the science behind her findings is very informative.  It may not be for everybody, but I for one advocate this lifestyle of eating.

Look inside this book
    Keto for Cancer Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy by Kalamian Miriam

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Re: intermittent fasting.  Catalyst had an episode on ageing well last week and a method there, rather than a full fast, was non-starchy vegies only (on two days per week, I think).
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Since menopause I have realized I don't really have to eat much any more. Even the good veges I no longer have a large serving. At least I am more economical and cheap to keep lol.