Hair loss

KyzaD69
KyzaD69 Member Posts: 22
edited August 2019 in Day to day
So it’s been 2 weeks to the day since my first chemo treatment. On Monday I noticed my hair has started to fall out and 2 days on and more and more hair is falling out. I was at my local shopping center today and I was going to get my head shaved but I found myself over whelmed and chicken out. Any tips on when or where I should stop over thinking and just get it done. 

I thought i was  ok with having it done but now it’s a reality I am not so sure. 

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Hi @KyzaD69 I had mine cut really short then when it fell out it wasn’t as much of a shock. You probably only have a week or less left and then the decision will be made for you. Mine fell out on day 21 but my BC nurse said day 19 is the most common.
  • KyzaD69
    Do you actually need to shave it or will it fall out naturally as I brush my hair.Thank you @Blossom1961 so by the sounds of it by the weekend I might have no hair.
  • Blossom1961
    Mine fell out over two days in the shower. I still had a smidgen of fluff left but I just kept it as was. You just need to do what is comfortable for you, no one else’s opinion. When it does all fall out, the feel of the water on your scalp is amazing. I almost wish I was bald again just for that!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It’ll fall out naturally but another option is just to cut your hair really short so you don’t have great lumps of hair falling around. I didn’t fancy shaving either but a really short cut was less dramatic and less messy. Best wishes 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi lovely. No matter how much you expect it, it's a shock when it starts to happen eh? There's no right or wrong here, it's what you feel comfortable with. I went the whole hog and went from a bob to a totally shaved head. I found the constant shedding in vast quantities and emerging bakd spots to be so distressing that it was a relief to have it all gone. And fascinating. And showers were a heavenly revelation!

I had my hair shaved off at a hipster barber. Many women have their usual hairdresser do it, and they often do it after hours so there are no curious stares. Some hairdressers will come to your house to do it. And some get their friends or family to do it.

You'll know when the time is right. Hang in there. K xox

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I shaved mine but it was because the clumps of hair falling distressed me and I felt better just cutting it off. I had brushed and brushed ...washed my hair with great clumps coming out and then brushed and dried...only to find more coming out. I felt relieved to get rid of it.

You can pop a cap on to collect falling hair but it may matt. Have you organised a wig. Our local hairdresser here does this...she matches whats best and will shave then cut your wig to suit you. Your breast care nurse should have info about this as should your chemo unit. 
  • KyzaD69
    Thanks Guys. There is so many lovely service around its so nice to see. I don't think I am going down the wig lane but I will be at Peter Mac next week so I might have a look in there wig library. I have been shopping and have picked up a few extra scarfs plus the ones I already have at home I think I might be fine to put something together on my head.
  • Blossom1961
    Enjoy those showers! Oh how I miss them. 🤗
  • KyzaD69
    I love that there is a postive in every crappy thing we have to do.😊
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @KyzaD69 Lost my hair in chemo. Discovered I had a good shaped head. My husband called me his "sexy alien" and people used the word 'beautiful' about me for the first time in my life! Sure, maybe they were just being kind but I'll take it! And then when my hair grew back I loved it short so much I'm keeping it. I'd give anything to not have had cancer, but when asked to nominate my silver lining I say my hair! K xox
  • KyzaD69
    That's beautiful. I just had a  shower and washed it to help move it along a bit. It's amazing how much hair was on the shower floor. Hubby then cut off the long hair from the back. I must say I don't hate what I am seeing so hopefully like you I will find a postive.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I became scarf obsessed..and hat obsessed. I had cotton caps for summer. Woollen hats for winter  and many many scarves.None were expensive. People would buy me funny hats to wear ar home. 
    The scarves I still use...just round my neck now. Rarely use the hats now as I just get too hot. 
    A bamboo wig liner was great under a woolen cap or straw hat to protect the scalp as it was sensitive.
    A had a special swim cap made out of swimsuit material...protected the head from the sun but got wet so you didn't get too hot. 
    I googled how to tie a head scarf and got lots of ideas. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I started with cold caps but ended up with a bald strip across my head from ear to ear so with the kids okay, I got it clipped to a No. 2.  Almost all of it fell out.  I went bald at home (unless it was too cold - it was Winter) - outside I mostly wore scarves and beanies; wigs if I didn't want to stand out.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Ditto to what many of the others have mentioned.  I just dived in and got it shaved.  For some reason I hated anything on my head only put on a beanie or scarf if I was out in the sun.  Showers with a bald head are just the best. Good luck with everything. xo