Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Exercise and Eating

Angelo
Angelo Member Posts: 33
edited August 2019 in Metastatic breast cancer
Does anyone have any good ideas for motivating me into  a good eating and exercise plan. My head is all for it but the rest of me is not as motivated 🤪. I’m working full time and using Lite n Easy but I’m still eating the treats ( emotional eating) and not really exercising. I’m 57 and I’m too young to give up.....I’m ready for any suggestions xx

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    In terms of exercise, find something you enjoy. I don't work full time, but with using public transport, I'm away from home for over 11hrs a day, so no exercise before or after, either. I try to go for a 20-30 minute walk during my lunch break - I only get a 30minute lunch, so I eat at my desk on the days that I walk. 
    I also did a Nordic Walking class last year, and found it a great form of exercise. It's also something that you can start of gently, and build up. You can walk by yourself or with a group. However, in years gone by, I swam, as a bit of a water baby. I also like to go paddling in my kayak in the warmer months.

In terms of diet, I don't think that there's any easy answers.

Take care
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I found exercising on my own and working too hard so took out membership of a gym. It doesn’t cost me much per week but paying in advance helped me get into the gym habit. Now it’s automatic. Establishing good habits takes longer than starting bad ones! I agree there are no easy answers for diet - we all know what’s bad for us. Rewards however can be insidious - reward for having a bad day, reward for being good, reward for almost anything. I found trying to reduce the things that ‘deserved’ rewards helped, but still a work in progress. Best wishes. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @Angelo I found I couldn’t do both to begin with so I started on the exercise. I have just built up to walking for thirty minutes nearly every day and light gym three times a week. I have just cut out sugar and dairy and then will look at the rest of my diet later. I do not eat anything with artificial stuff in it. Slow but steady. It has taken me eight months to get my exercise regime to this.
  • CRM
    CRM Member Posts: 91
    Start small.  I have started running (jogging) every day but only for 10 minutes... I will try and build on that or add in new exercises over time.  Same with diet.  Try adding more fruit and veg to each meal of the day.  I also allow myself to have a chocolate biscuit with my cup of tea each night as a treat ;) 
  • Angelo
    Thanks Blossom,  how and why have you cut out the sugar and dairy? Did you need to get approval from your Oncologist. I know a lot of people who are on the 800 calorie diet but not sure if it’s worth it? I find I have an urge for sugar and I think that’s from the ribocyclib combo. I’m going to try the 30 minutes of exercise a day and then try to keep the calories around 1200. Thanks for your help and of course Irb and afrazer great suggestions xxx
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I have never been keen on exercise but realised I would need to be to cope with hormone therapy ( on my bones and emotionally) so I took up walking.
    It wasn’t easy starting in the depths of winter and in a hilly area but I did. Each day it got easier my 1 hour walk.The biggest help was e audiobooks from the library - my first was Bruce Springsteen reading his bio which was a surprisingly good listen - and later my kids also put loads of my favourite music on my mobile phone too.
    Tbh I would forget I was exercising and drift off either absorbedby a book/ music or just thinking about all sorts of things - it has become my time to just bug out and relax.And my family and neighbors all understand now when initially they were perplexed.
    I also bought a runners band on eBay  as I tripped holding my phone one day walking.
    Eating is still a problem as Itoo comfort eat but find the exercise helps with that too as I can often  clear my head of what’s upsetting me .I’m a big fan of oatmeal - it’s filling , keeps me warm for ages and lowers cholesterol but I don’t add sugar.
    The Encore program run by YWCA is run in Perth and I highly recommend it.Not only for free 1 hour hydrotherapy and information useful for breast cancer people but also the fellowship of others in the same circumstance.It is wonderful to be with others who get it although confronting the first time in the change room but that eases quickly as nervousness passes and friendships form.

I found a locally run twice weekly exercise class for older women in my community which methodically goes thru each joint in the body. I was pretty much the youngest but learnt quickly age is no inhibitor to laughter and fun - qualities which minimised my angst about the dreaded exercise.

Finally exercise I think needs to be a part of daily life - park a little further from the shops and walk.Take any opportunity to be more active - it all adds up.
  • Angelo
    Thanks everyone, I think I’ll start with the walking and then take up some of your suggestions on sugar reduction and adding more vegetables. I love the idea of a choc biscuit as a treat. Stay well xx
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    edited August 2019
    @Angelo Sugar cut out due to calories. Dairy causes me breast cysts which even the dr couldn’t tell the difference between it and the cancer so I have hugely reduced it. I only have it with the occasional treat. My Oncologist has no problems with it, no reason to.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited August 2019
    This is my battle too @Angelo. I've let some kilos creep back on since I lost a lot for my DIEP last year.

I've taken a lot of professional advice and it echoes what the folk above have said. Start small. Pick one thing you want to change. It takes a minimum of three weeks to establish a new habit. So pick one thing you want to change. Not the hardest one! Maybe change breakfast to be a healthy choice, or reduce the sugar in your cuppa. If you always have a biscuit at morning tea, make it a couple of mandarins. Get that habit rolling, and when you feel strong in it, choose the next one.

My dietician said sometimes it's easier to get going with weight loss when you see some quick results on the scales. So she said that it's OK to do a meal replacement programe (shakes for two meals a day) for two or three weeks to start the ball rolling.

I like to build in non-food rewards, like I'll treat myself to a pedicure when I've lost five kilos or somesuch.

And the old making yourself accountable is good too I reckon. Find a friend to exercise with you every week, be it a walk, a ride, a swim, a tai chi class, yoga. All of the above! We're much less likely to allow ourselves to weasel out of exercise if it means letting down a mate.

Women lose muscle mass quickly once in menopause. The more muscle you have the faster your metabolism. Plus it's good for our bones. Going for brisk walks is great but it won't cut it on its own. Gym or weights at home. Which is better for you? I found a 4kg weight in an op shop for three bucks. I leave it lying round where I can see it and try to use it every other day.

Think laterally about exercise. Dancing, or bushwalking, or a team sport? Circus?! My husband keeps himself moving by refereeing basketball at the local stadium.

There are stacks of sponsorship charity efforts you can make. Dry July or Feb Fast for giving up booze. Not only do you make yourself publicly accountable, but you raise money for the cause of your choice. Google 'walking challenges' and your area and see what you come up with.

Vanity can be a big motivator. You want to wear 'that' frock to a do. Is there a wedding on your calendar that you can set your sights on?

More and more science is emerging round hunger, weight loss, healthy fats, sleep, gut health and more. You could do some research and see what you can tweak. I struggle to go to bed at a sensible hour. It's no use me declaring I'm going to go to bed two hours earlier. Never going to happen! But I'm making some real headway with going to bed half an hour earlier. And once that's locked in, I'll trim off another half hour.

I think you have to really search yourself, to understand yourself, to understand what's holding you back. If you can get a handle on the psychology it might help. Maybe a handful of sessions with a therapist could help.

I don't know if any of this is any use, but I hope so! Come back in three weeks and tell us how you've got on. All the best, K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I've put on 4 kilos since starting Letrozole (and I was already too weighty) and neither I nor my onc are happy about it.  I'm exercising and while I may not be eating as well as I could, I'm not eating very differently.  I'm also feeling that although I'm doing the resistance exercise regularly, strangely enough I don't seem to be getting any stronger.  Anyway, taking all ideas on board.  

One of the speakers at the BCNA conference in Adelaide recently was an exercise psychologist (Helen Donovan???? - can't quite remember her name and can't see my notes)  Again, maybe a good one for a webinar as she was a really good speaker - @Giovanna_BCNA?  So many of us seem to struggle with exercise and weight after bc.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @angelo

I think someone had said you were from WA.  Here's a link that should help you

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/21179/ywca-encore-breast-cancer-exercise-program-perth-wa-2019
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    @Angelo Those that know me, know I am an exercise junkie & very conscious of what i eat but the best advice as already hinted above is to do something you enjoy. If you dont, then you wont continue it. Another tip is not to set your goals too high. Start slowly & progress gradually. You will not be running a marathon in a month!! So whether its walking, yoga, pilates, strength training at home or going to an exercise class or even buying an exercise DVD to do at home. I still do the Pilates DVD from the My Journey Kit every day. You could choose to do any of these alone or with a group & the good thing about going with someone else is that they make you continue & the company is good. You can also enjoy a coffee afterwards!! You will find that as you get fitter & start enjoying your exercise, the healthy eating will follow as your lifestyle/mindset will change & you will want to put better fuel inside your body. Nothing wrong with a treat now & then & dont pressure yourself if you're having a tough day & just cant do any exercise.
    After I finished treatment, I rang the Cancer Council for some advice following my rad treatment & they randomly asked me whether I wanted to do a program called "Healthy Living After Cancer". I told them I was already a healthy eater & exercised a lot but they wanted participants for their free study so i did it. They send you info & a consultant rings you periodically to discuss all things relating to exercise, eating, weight management etc. Even though I was around 54kgs & exercise a lot, I still followed the program to the end & lost 7 cms around my waist & lost another few kgs & my cholesterol went down. You could ring them on 131120 & see if they are continuing the program as I know at one stage they were waiting for more funding. Ive just googled their website & the link is below
     https://www.cancer.org.au/news/news-articles/new-physical-activity-and-diet-program-for-cancer-survivors.html
    Good luck. This is something I am really passionate about so i hope you find some helpful tips here & support. take care & let us know how you get on. xx

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    We are a sharing caring mob @Angelo . Any thoughts ,ideas or suggestion you have to improve our lots  gratefully accepted by all of us. xo