Help Needed for Easy Lunches

Sister
Sister Member Posts: 4,960
edited July 2019 in Health and wellbeing
Like many of you, I am trying to eat as well as I can but I often find meals and in particular, lunchtime at work, rather challenging.  Unless there are leftovers in the fridge at home (and with 3 teenagers, there's almost never leftovers), I usually end up buying unsatisfying, calorie dense meals from the canteen.  It's expensive, leaden and not particularly nutritious. 

I think I would like to be able to have a bowl of vegies or something like that that I could stick in the microwave.  But I'm looking for some easy sauce recipes to add to them that I could make at home - enough to keep in the fridge for a few days and use as needed.  I'm trying to keep it healthy but happy to add more dairy to my diet.  I love things like potato/vegetable bakes so things along those lines would be great or other ideas to add a zing. And they'd need to be suitable for microwave reheating.  I'm hoping that some of you great cooks out there can share an easy recipe or two. 
Tagged:

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I'll put my thinking cap on, but off the top of my head, balsamic vinegar makes a lot of things taste better. That's more salady though.

Some low sodium soy, a small amount of sesame oil and some sliced spring onions provide a good base. Add some oyster sauce or hoisin or sweet chilli sauce and you've got a decent dressing to toss some veg in.

I'll keep thinking.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I/2 a pre-cooked brown rice cup, blanched broccoli and a tin of flavoured tuna (my preference is tomato and onion) 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    edited July 2019
    I cooked up a nice stir fry the other week with soft noodles, stir fry veg, sliced Bertolli Peking Pork (with no fat tho) and a single "Five Tastes Stir Fry Shot" (not at all hot but really tasty) ..... It was REALLY YUMMY & even better the following days for lunch - tho you'll have to hide it from the kids so they don't eat it for you!!    Will be cooking it up again tomorrow! ;)

Can you leave it in the fridge at School??

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited July 2019
    The only way I can have leftovers for lunches is to cook up myself.

Quick cook up options....
    Pre sliced chicken breast, pre cut coleslaw and kale slaw. ..cooked with a sachet sauce...like Lee Kum Kee sauces. ..divide into 4 serves. My favourite is

Of course you can slice all your own. I don't add additional coconut milk as it's enough the way it is.

I also make up veggie soups. ..like pumpkin....or broccoli and bean soups. Freeze in snap lock bags. Partly thaw and shove into a microwave soup cup. On the side now...frozen ready to go are sandwich folds. ...mountain bread...some sliced poached chicken, cheese, spinach and tomato relish. Freeze wrapped in oven paper. Can be popped in micro but better in a sandwich press.
    I poach 2 chicken breasts up (take out slightly undercook and rest...it will cook through)...then slice and freeze. Can be added to salads, leftover veggies...into wraps...onto pizza.
    Home cooked fried rice....cook onions...bacon...seafood and mix frozen  veggies then lastly rice finish with some sushi seasoning. I do top with chopped omelet. It freezes well. You can add in marinated tofu if you want to skip the bacon.

Another  couple ideas...on top of zuchini noodles

Creamy Chicken Cottage Pie with Parmesan Pumpkin Mash

1kg Chicken Breast Mince

1 leek finely sliced 

2 1/2 cups frozen mixed veg (carrots, corn, peas)

4 cloves garlic grated

2 Tbls fresh thyme

2tbls fresh parsley

2 Tbls djon mustard 

2 Tbls Worcestershire sauce

50 ml Philadelphia CREAM for cooking 

Salt/Pepper 

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

700gms COOKED steamed pumpkin 

Spray a non stick pan with oil spray (if needed), over a medium heat, add leek and cook until softened, add chicken mince, garlic salt & Pepper, and break up lumps whilst cooking. 

Once the mince has cooked, add mixed veg, parsley, thyme, Worcestershire, mustard & cream, stir through for 3-4 minutes and switch off heat.

Transfer mixture into a 2.6lt Pyrex dish.

Mash the cooked pumpkin and add Parmesan cheese, reserve 2 tsp for the top.

Spread the pumpkin Parmesan mash over the chicken mixture, sprinkle with extra cheese and more fresh parsley (optional).

Bake in a 200c oven for 15-20 mins (if mix is warm)  or 30 - 40 mins until piping hot if it’s been in the fridge. 

You can sub pumpkin with sweet potato. ..which is really yum. It freezes really well. I vary flavours with what I add. I use no fat greek yoghurt instead of cream usually

• primek

Super quick yummy soup

Broccoli and white Bean Soup

SmartPoints®™ value: 0

Servings: 4

Prep Time: 0

Cooking Time: 0

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Creamy tasting aromatic broccoli soup.

Ingredients

2 bunch(es) Broccolini, 2 heads chop. Cut stalk small.

5 glass(es) tap water, 5 cups

5 serve(s) Maggi, Stock Powder, Vegetable

2 tsp ground cumin

2 serve(s) Always Fresh, Garlic, Minced

1 medium brown onion, chopped

1 cup(s) Cannellini beans, canned, rinsed, drained, 400g can drained

1 cup(s) chickpeas, canned, rinsed, drained, 1/2 can drained

Instructions

1. Pl ace all ingredients except bean into medium /large saucepan. bring to boil and simmer until stalk are soft. add beans and blend with hand held stick blender. 

2. 4 generous serves. Would be nice with toasted Mountain bread or wrap. 

Variations...cauliflower instead
  • primek

Another yummo soup

Pumpkin and lentil soup

A spicy wholesome pumpkin soup.

Ingredients

¼ whole Pumpkin, kent, Chopped with skin on.

5 glass(es) tap water, 5 cups

¾ serve(s) McKenzie's Lentils, Red, 3/4 cup

1 medium brown onion, chopped

2 serve(s) Always Fresh, Garlic, Minced

5 serve(s) Maggi, Stock Powder, Vegetable

2 tsp ground cumin

1 cup(s) chickpeas, canned, rinsed, drained, 1/2 can drained

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to med/large saucepan except chickpeas and cook until tender. Then add chickpeas and blende with handheld stick blender. 

2. Full cup of lentils can be used instead if chickpeas 

3. The pumpkin skin remains on and is blended also. 

• primek
    Super fast cook ahead ideas from weight watchers...Ive not made but they look quick and healthy 

Curried sausage stew

Prep Time: 10

Cooking Time: 40

Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Classic curried sausages are a great budget meal that’s quick and easy to whip up midweek.

Ingredients

2 tsp olive oil

400 g extra lean pork sausage

1 medium brown onion, coarsely chopped

2 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped

3 medium carrot(s), sliced

3 tsp curry powder, mild

1 individual beef stock cube, reduced-salt variety, to make 2 cups (500ml) beef stock

1 tbs tomato chutney

½ cup(s) frozen green peas (60g)

½ cup(s) fresh coriander, sprigs

Instructions

1. Heat half the oil in a deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook sausages, turning, for 2 minutes or until light golden. Transfer to a plate. Cut in half widthways.

2. Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and carrot, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add stock, chutney and sausages and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes.

3. Add peas and cook, covered, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with coriander to serve.

Korma vegetable curry

Prep Time: 15

Cooking Time: 35

Cubes of smooth tofu and sweet pumpkin are an ideal match for the mild heat of this quick curry.

Ingredients

800 g pumpkin, butternut, raw, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces

1 large brown onion, cut into thin wedges

2 clove(s) garlic, crushed

¼ cup(s) Indian curry paste, korma, (60g)

400 g canned diced tomatoes

350 g cauliflower, cut into florets

180 g low-fat Greek yoghurt

300 g green beans, cut into 3cm pieces

300 g Firm tofu, cut into 3cm pieces

½ cup(s) fresh coriander, chopped

2 cup(s) white boiled rice, basmati

4 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray

Instructions

1. Spray a large saucepan with oil and heat over high heat. Add the pumpkin and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. 

2. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until softened. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. 

3. Add the tomatoes, cauliflower, pumpkin and 1½ cups (375ml) water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Add the yogurt and beans and simmer for 5–7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. 

4. Stir in the tofu and half the coriander. Serve the rice topped with the curry and sprinkled with the remaining coriander.

One pot chilli chicken and bean bowl

Prep Time: 10

Cooking Time: 15

This super filling 0 SmartPoints chicken bowl is filled with black beans, corn and zucchini.

Ingredients

1 large red onion, finely chopped

2 tsp chilli powder, Mexican variety

400 g canned diced tomatoes (1x400g can)

1 tbs tomato paste

400 g canned black beans, rinsed, drained (1x400g can)

400 g cooked skinless chicken breast, poached, chopped

2 medium zucchini, cut into 2cm pieces

1 cup(s) frozen corn kernels (160g)

⅓ cup(s) 99% fat-free plain yoghurt (80g)

1 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray

Instructions

1. Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan or saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add chilli powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.

2. Add tomatoes, paste and ⅓ cup (80ml) water and bring to the boil. Add black beans, chicken, zucchini and corn and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve with yoghurt.

• Sister
    Thank you guys - awesome!
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Like @Zoffiel, I favour the quick and simple. But I am not mad on tuna. Salmon fillets (fresh or bought ready cooked at the supermarket) go well with rice and something green (spinach, celery, broccoli, asparagus  all work well). Flavour, oily fish and veggies. 
  • Sister
    I did try something yesterday from what I had in the house and it worked...a bowl of steamed vegies reheated at work with a spoon of sour cream and a bit of grated cheese mixed in.