INCLUSION

Options
PeterB
PeterB Member Posts: 65
edited July 2019 in General discussion
Ladies that are going thru BC or are part of the BC Support Groups the Male BC guys out there need your support.

We need to start a program of “INCLUSION”

With your support we can change the attitude of those in charge of all the BC groups and get Male Breast Cancer included in all advertisements, campaigns and fund raising.
Not just acknowledged one day a year in October.

The males going thru BC are your husbands, sons, brothers, uncles and possibly best friends. They need your voices and support to bring MBC to the forefront and be INCLUDED.

Peter Bennett

please contact us if you have any ideas to help with this INCLUSION effort.

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Hello @PeterB
    Please keep posting so us ladies really can help with this 'Inclusion' project.
    Breast cancer is not restricting itself to age or gender and the world out there needs to understand that on many levels.
  • PeterB
    PeterB Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks Summerhill38
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    @PeterB, I'm not involved in any BC specific support groups, but will often take opportunities to remind those I come in contact with in general life that men can and do get bc too
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I want to include men. I am careful to mind my language, saying "people" who get breast cancer rather than "women". On the rare occasion men post here I strive to be welcoming and conersational.

While I understand that the overwhelming majority of people who are diagnosed with breast cancer are women, I still think it would be brilliant if the pink ribbon had a thin blue stripe somewhere on it. The pink is so gender polarising. I get that it's marketing and branding, and that it's been highly succesful. However the colour has become so highly gendered that it can't be perceived as anything but almost exclusively female.

I think that as time goes by, as the Gen Y and Millenials with their increasingly broader understanding, definition and acceptance of gender fluidity, non-binary identity etc, that some of the 20th Century decisions round logos and brand positioning will be seen as increasingly anachronistic.

To be included the men have to be seen. But to be seen the men have to be included. It's a bit of a chicken and the egg situation! Maybe with the all pervasive rise of social media, the current generation of young men who later develop breast cancer will be more visible.

I love your efforts @PeterB. This is an issue of importance to me. My two boys have a 50% chance of having my gene mutation and therefore a higher risk of getting BC. If there is anything I can do, let me know. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    So much of the marketing is so fluffy, does not reflect reality and defines bc as a women's disease.  Surely it is time for things to morph into something better (I notice the ribbon is being used more and more) and it must include recognition that this is not just something that affects women.  Even the talk is about this being your mother, sister, etc...never do you hear this could be your brother or son.  I'm all for inclusion.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Every campaign on facebook now I remind people that men get breast cancer too and even add latest stats