On Our Walks

Options

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Me too, just a bit too far timewise on this trip! 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    Wow!  Awesome pics @Afraser
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Great photos @Afraser ! Always hope to see Scapa Flow in the Orkneys one day as my grandfather was in the RN and  based there in WW2.Where is the third photo please ?
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Also where is the last photo please ?
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Enjoy the markets. I know Mindil’s the big one (fantastic if you get skydivers) but I really like Parap. Best wishes to you both. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Enjoy! Look forward to more photos 
    Take care 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Used to love staying in the old Hotel Darwin on the esplanade.  Such a shame it was demolished.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @arpie and @Annie C , lovely to think of you both having a holiday in Darwin. Keep up the photos please. Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Sister
    Back in 1937 my mother travelled by car from Perth to Darwin with her friend and her friend's supposed Italian "Fiance". Imagine how adventurous that trip must have been. Took 3 months!

My mother's first job in Darwin was in the Hotel Darwin. She used to tell us that she was a Dining Room Maid NOT a Bar Maid! But, boy she knew how to pour a beer.

My parents were married in Darwin in December 1940. My mother and 3 week old sister were evacuated south on the "Koolinda", 19 December 1941.  My father stayed as manpower for the building of Darwin's defences. He had just left the Darwin Post Office when the Japanese bombed Darwin on 19 February 1942.

My parents often spoke fondly of their time in Darwin and of the life they had prior to being evacuated. Sadly they never returned.

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Goodness travelling in 1937! What an adventure!