Mastectomy

Ctoo
Ctoo Member Posts: 13
Do I have to go ahead with a mastectomy? The neoadjuvant chemo has done what it was meant to and my mri was all clear.

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @Ctoo You don’t HAVE to do anything. Your body, your choice. What is your surgeon recommending? If your cancer has shrunk they may give you the option of a lumpectomy. Speak to your medical team and ask for some current facts in your situation.
  • Ctoo
    Ctoo Member Posts: 13
    I have multifocal breast cancer so surgeon wants to do mastectomy. The lump and tumour has shrunk to the point it can't be seen on mri and ultrasound.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited July 2019
    Sadly it doesn't mean all cancer is gone. It just means it's too small to be visible on a scan. Remember cancer starts with just one abnormal cell. In your case in several areas of the breast. Without surgery if some cells remain it may regrow. These are the questions to ask your surgeon...can it regrow, would radiotherapy cure it without surgery? Etc etc.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    My cancer cells also showed they were all gone. I went ahead with the mastectomy and anxillery clearance and they found two micro cancer cells in two nodes. They would not have found these if they hadn’t been removed. I have no regrets.