South Adelaide Support

Hi all in Adelaide especially South of Adelaide my name is Belinda and I am a Triple Negative Cancer Survivor of 6 years onward !  I
work in Pharmacy so as soon as some-one mentions the words Cancer I am always keen to ask how they have been supported.  I was quite shocked to discover that the lady I met last week said she had not heard of BCNA and had not had a visit in hospital by a Breast Care Nurse and had not received her My Journey Kit, or heard from a McGrath Nurse.  So I immediately thought, wow, is that right.  Back in 2013 when I went through my drama, I had the most amazing support in Launceston.  
I later moved to Sydney and started a coffee and chat group of 4 clients from the Pharmacy I worked in, whom became great friends of mine, all are well as we speak after several years.  
Curious to discover what support groups there are here South of Adelaide around O'Halloran Hill.  I have plans in future to run my own support group again.  Eventually trained by the Cancer council, however am well aware it is similar to running my own business and a nurse needs to be involved.  That is in the future.  I wish to begin motivational speaking regarding positive thinking, diverting the mind, and meditation, all the things I learnt over the year with Cancer.  I have lots of ideas.....this is the beginning.
Let me know what is happening in Adelaide if you like....until it's time....stay as well as possible. xx

Comments

• Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi belmckenna, I’m also triple negative, was diagnosed October last year, just finished chemo, surgery then Radiotherapy.
    Thats fantastic news on 6 years plus cancer free, I just love hearing this, gives me great hope.

I live on the Fleurieu peninsula, there is a Breast Of Friends group at Victor Harbor that meet the first Monday of the month. I also meet with a small group for coffee and chat once a month at Encounter Bay.
    I have a MC Grath nurse from Victor Harbor , whom I could find out more information for this lady as to where she could find one in her local area.

If she was to get onto BCNA she will have a lot of support from people in the same situation, also there may be people that live closer to her that can recommend something closer for support.

BCNA are having a conference here in Adelaide on July 27th and 28th at the convention centre.
    Its free to attend you just have to register online.

Im sure other people will jump on soon to help.
  • NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    Great to hear you're in good hands in the Victor Harbour area.  I am at O'Halloran Hill.
    The conferences are fantastic for new people.   A great information session and meeting new friends .
    All the best for your treatment and recovery! 
    X Bel 
  • NaturalBel
    I found one at Blackwood and noticed there are quite a few around Aldinga Beach area.  Best of luck to all.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Hi Bel,
    Great to hear that you are keeping well and still keen to help others. You were a big help to me when I was diagnosed and first on BCNA 6 years ago. I learnt a lot from your open sharing on here.

Hope that you find your way to keep doing that in your new location. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • NaturalBel
    Deanne
    Hi  lovely!   What a year that was hey ! I certainly shared my heart and soul  that year.  To think back...I have never felt so supported in my life...by complete strangers....BCNA got me through and beautiful people who had been there and done...like us.  
    So I wanted to return the help.  After such a life changing event....  life is all about hope and belief in surviving.