Pre Diabetes

Options
Cassina
Cassina Member Posts: 74
edited June 2019 in Health and wellbeing
the chance of Diabetes developing linked to Tamoxifen use? I have read this and am trying hard to cut out sugar and low carb diet, but ended up on Metformin however wonder if anyone else has this issue or is it just bad luck. I am not hugely obese and exercise a little ( could do more)
Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,578
    Options
    Nothing to do with Tamoxifen, sadly - but my husband, after having stomach cancer & chemo, went on to develop diabetes - and he is SO skinny and SO FIT - he doesn't tick ANY of the boxes to become a diabetic.  He is on Diaformin.

He also developed Anaphylaxis within 12 months of finishing chemo.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    http://beacon.bcna.org.au/2016/03/trial-for-women-on-tamoxifen/

There was a Melbourne study on metformin as detailed in the link above

@Arpie perhaps @Giovanna_BCNA may know where  to access the results

Take care 
  • Cassina
    Options
    Thank you so much isabrown, yes the metformin seems to enhance the effect of Tamoxifen, and for this reason I decided not to fight it! ( it has its own side effects) Lowering of oestrogen ( caused by Tamoxifen does contribute to Diabetes 2.) Interesting study from Monash, thanks. I guess we really do not know how much any of these treatments effect us. Much rather have Diabetes than Breast Cancer however
  • Cassina
    Options
    I have purchased the Dr Mosely book on reducing blood sugar, but cannot manage the Fast800 diet as yet. It seems even  Type 2 can be reversed with lifestyle changes and diet and exercise, interesting
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I will tag @primek as I think if I  remember correctly she knows of someone who is a Diabetes Educator or maybe able to give you a link to follow 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,578
    Options
    WOW!  Interesting read, @iserbrown!    What with a fungus treatment and arthritis treatment reducing hormone side effects in men ...... who knows what will pop up next??   Hopefully something that reduces the side effects for women!!  ;) 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hi there...no I'm not a diabetes educator but my husband is.
    Lots of people develop diabetes and yours may have been picked up nice and early due to the all the regular tests involved once we are diagnosed.
    It is often associated with lifestyle risk factors but overwhelmingly it is genetics that seem to have the biggest part in it...the lifestyle stuff is more about when it will occur.
    So yes...normal treatment and education around it and the earlier you get on medication and have sugars normalised the less complicattions you'll have. Of course reducing lifestyle risk issues will always help with good control. There is no cure for diabetes. For pre diabetes it can be reversed with lifestyle change at least for a number of years. Kath x
  • Cassina
    Options
    Thanks primek, appreciate this info. Not suggesting everything is causing Pre Diabetes, however changing lifestyle has helped. Its just the shock of yet another illness, after the initial cancer diagnosis! I will fight this, and I know the Aic test does not lie, it just on top of the side effects from Tamoxifen, the Metformin has similar side effects! ( namely GIT problems nausea, wind, pain and constipation. Yoga helping, and excersise, yes blood sugars reduced from 5.2 to 4.2 fasting.Ha ha but the oncologist says again "oh no, these side effects are not from medication, its just you!"