Does cows milk contain oestrogen and if so ........

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi again,I had the same bc as you and when I got diagnosed back in 2003,I researched and read every book possible about bc,diets etc etc.It really did my head in! I had a healthy diet(minimal meat n diary) and weight and didn’t drink or smoke.I breastfed my kids and had no family history of bc.It didn’t make sense to me. Nevertheless,I ate even healthier but the darn thing came back in 2010 in the same Breast.After that I decided to reduce all stress in my life as I felt it may have contributed.So 9yrs on and I’m cancer free as far as I know.
    From my research,there is some eostrogen in cows milk but most of it gets metabolized by upper gut and liver with only very minimal reaching your blood stream.Supposedly the calcium in milk has a possibility of helping to prevent bowel cancer(and not to mention good for bone health)So what do we do???
    I think do your research and then work out a diet that you enjoy but also feel comfortable with.Don’t have dairy if it worries you but maybe take a calcium supplement?Maintaining a healthy weight and doing some exercise and having peace of mind are important too.
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    @TonyaM Thank you for that great reminder.  That's the problem isn't it - in trying to beat this damn thing we put more stress on ourselves and could end up causing it to come back.  Ive done a fair bit of research on it but found nothing conclusive hence my post on here.  So glad you're cancer free 9 years on.  Ive lost 15 kgs, changed my diet considerably, choosing to eat what is better for me most of the time, limiting alcohol, sugar etc to a minimum, without begrudging my SELF.  Balance - Oh to know the accurate balance.  its like cannabis - some have used it and cured the cancer, others say it didn't help, others say in fact if harms.  If only everything that was printed was the absolute TRUTH in lieu of propaganda.  Thanks so much for your reminder about balance and less stress :)<3

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    sandramj, sounds like you are being proactive about your health and doing the best you can.A 15kg loss! that’s amazing.Well we are all different and Breast cancer is actually many diseases so I guess what works for one, may not work for another.
    Now I checked the BCNA booklet called’Healthy eating and Breast cancer’written by dieticians and it states that 
    ‘there appears to be no link between consuming dairy products and the risk of breast cancer”.Ofcourse there’ll always be that niggle in the back of your head and that’s why I only have a small amount instead of the recommended 3 dairy serves per day.I think alcohol is a bigger worry to bc risk and they state that in the booklet.
    I enjoy 1 cup of coffee a day and a few squares of chocolate a few times a week and I’m blowed if I’m going to give them up! Otherwise I eat healthy(rarely drink alcohol,no processed meats)and follow the 5:2 diet at the moment to shed a few more kilos.Good luck with your research and just jot down the bits that ring true for YOU.xx
  • sandramj
    @kezmusc wow how did you know all that information. That’s great. I grew up in a dairy farm and drank milk and knew when cows had mastitis we put tubes of antibiotics in the teat then they coloured the antibiotics so the milk would contaminate the whole can back in the day. But since then haven’t had anything to do with dairy but know beef chicken etc are given growth hormones.  
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    @TonyaM I personally believe, and my rad onc agrees, that my over exposure to oestrogen due to use of the contraceptive pill combined with early menarche is the probable reason I have hormone positive BC in my 20’s. One could argue that hormones in what we eat/drink over a prolonged period of time could therefore increase chances of developing hormone positive BC. Just food for thought. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    @sandramj,  my husband is friends with a couple of dairy farmers so I just asked.  Australian chicken has not contained hormones for a long time either. 
    xoxoxo
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Coles promotes their beef as having no hormones added.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544

"Australian guidelines allow the use of growth hormones to increase the weight of cattle. The hormones most commonly used as growth promoters – oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone – also occur naturally in a wide range of foods.

However, the difference in hormone levels between hormone-fed and hormone-free beef is small. A single consumer would need to eat more than 77 kilograms of beef from a hormone-treated animal in one sitting to get the same level of oestrogen hormone found in one egg.

Hormone levels are regulated nationally to ensure that they are safe for consumers and not harmful to animals. However, if you prefer it, hormone-free beef is widely available from supermarkets and butchers."

Check out the DPI pages for all meat concerns.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-and-livestock/beef-cattle/husbandry/hormonal-growth-promotants/q-and-a

• sandramj
    Thanks for that.  Although now I’m concerned about eating eggs. Bloody hell.  This cancer is a real pain in the a.....  not just breast related at all once surgery & treatment is over, it seems   Sigh! And can’t drink alcohol or eat desserts without guilt and becomes anal about the food they eat feels they should exercise, meditate, remain stress free and while doing all this relax and live s normal life 🥴😳🤔
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @sandramj I couldn't agree more. So far I have found it impossible to do. No booze, minimal sugar, strength exercise 2-3 times a week, cardio on the other days, stress relief (yoga, tai chi), meditation. All while managing a large family with my partner away for part or most of the week. I should also be working part-time. And maintaining friendships. All while on an AI with considerable side effects. And every failure to do any of this creates guilt. Impossible! BC is a comprehensive mind f**k.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I think I need a wife...
  • sandramj
    edited June 2019