Weekend trivia

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Now, I would travel from afar for "proper" tea in a fine bone cup accompanied by scones with jam and cream. I am a "failed" CWA member - I cannot make scones. Even the crows won't eat them!

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Oh @Annie C we were too until we discovered lemonade scones - works every time even in an electric oven.Btw CWA even enabled me to make successful sponges after many years trying.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @kmakm, @Sister. T2 sourced every box of my favourite tea when it was discontinued. Apparently, like many things, I was the only one who liked it.
  • Romla
    My favourite was Prince of Wales also sadly discontinued in Australia.
  • Annie C
    @Romla
    I can make scones, just not to CWA competition standards. I have been awarded seconds and thirds but never a first.

I have made the lemonade scones recipe, however my most successful recipe is one a friend gave me. It uses natural yoghurt.  The yoghurt gives the scones a "light" texture.

My friend is a cook on a cattle station on the Gibb River Road and has to cater for 20 workers plus guests for smoko. Easy recipe, just throw all the ingredients in a Mixmaster bowl and hey presto, success. It is no secret recipe, just one found on the taste.com internet site.

I can bake a mean sponge. 

I too object to a teabag tea in a cafe. I am not fussy, am very happy with instant coffee or a teabag at a friend's, but in a cafe, well I am paying for it. I expect a lot better.

• Patti J
    Last year my eldest sister gave me a Mixmaster which she bought for $5 from the local tip. She took it home and cleaned it up. It now looks new. It works perfectly. I make cakes to take to school but I never eat them.
  • Annie C
    I love my Mixmaster. I have no idea how old it is (bought secondhand when I was newly married), probably over 40 years, but it just keeps churning away.

@Patti J
    Your story of your Mixmaster from the tip reminds me  of the microwave oven my husband "found" outside a hospital house.

The house was being cleaned out of furniture and effects and was in the process of renovation and  furniture replacement. The contents were going to the tip. Nothing wrong with them. The microwave just needed a good clean. It was about a year old and appeared to be hardly used.

It is handy having 2 microwaves! However I question the waste of government housing furniture and household items.

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Tea! Aaaah - now that's a conversation worth having. Loose leaf tea today does not taste the same as those wonderful CWA afternoon teas or the tea sipped in the shed during shearing time. I lived in New York a few years ago and found a Russian goods shop in my suburb. The tea was as I remembered from childhood - and the leaves were like large parsley - real tea leaves!!!! And it goes without saying, now that I'm a city girl, that I can only drink tea using fine bone china - my G/mother's Royal Albert. I now buy tea leaves from Indian grocers.
  • Romla
    Am trying Madura looseleaf atm but keen to try Yorkshire looseleaf next.Both teas are sourced from India  and are blends. My current brew is pretty nice.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    My go to tea is Assam from T2 IF I feel like tea.

• Patti J
    During the day I drink  blend of Strawberry bliss chai and Oolong choc chai with milk. At night I  drink White white cocoa with Jade mountain, all from T2.
  • Romla
     I must investigate T2 but requires a drive to the city alas am used to minimal traffic.I like Assam tea too as a good strong brew and spent 2 three month periods in India so have been spoiled with real Chai and hard to forget a billy of milk boiled along the roadside with tea , spices including cardamom and way too much sugar.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    @Romla  I was working with a chef from Yorkshire when I was in the NT and he had a constant supply of Yorkshire tea sent from over from home.  We had many a brew while we worked together.  (I might add he also had to include black pudding on the menu as well as Yorkshire pudding )  I don't think it would have mattered how long he spent in Aussie he was a Yorkshire man through and through. 
  • Romla
    It’s great tea @kitkatb - black pudding I’ll pass on but am a Yorkshire pudding fan.My dad was a Geordie from Newcastle on Tyne which is slightly further north than Yorkshire but the traditions are similar except the tea used to be Ringtons but noticed the relatives are now drinking Yorkshire tea - now tea bags would you believe it ? 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Is that the builder's brew (or whatever it's called)? I'm a philistine as I still reach for the Amgoorie (the smell takes me back to my childhood) to make a pot.  Tea bags?.. Madame Flavour makes some nice blends.  Rose tea is a light, delicate blend that is made by them and Dilmah does one too.  I also like a Lemon Myrtle and Earl Grey blend by Madame Flavour and Twinings Lemon Scented or their Spearmint & Chamomile.