Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Hip fracture

Silba
Silba Member Posts: 115
edited June 2019 in Metastatic breast cancer
Tomorrow would have been a month back at work after 12months absence due to treatment .a simple grocery shopping has turned into a hip fracture didn't fall ,or hit anything just took a step wrong. Now going to need hospital stay for a week and a walking aid for at least 6weeks.

Upside , no surgery , got to keep positive.
Tagged:

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    That's a real bugger @Silba -  put your feet up & make the best out of being 'looked after' xx  take care xx

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Gargh!!! @silba
  • EAA
    EAA Member Posts: 89
    Hi Silva.. Brave Heart.. keep gently going.. Let others carry you while 
    you rest up for healing. Move gently with the day.. Progress can be slow. Always going forward from a step back.. Do you have to do 
    any exercises? ..Time for a good book or funny movie! 
    All strength to you. xx 

• Silba
    Thank you , it has been a blow .
    4days in hospital so far and Onc getting a second opinion from orthopaedic surgeon.

I know don't look too far forward but scary all the same.

I'm with a walking frame at 50, it's harder to operate than it looks.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    The biggest of (very!) gentle hugs to you @Silba. K xox
  • Silba
    I hate that I have to deal with this , 5 weeks after finding out hip was fractured, had scan and MRI , showing another cyst in the joint pelvis bone , already have a mets in the pelvis so another one to the collection.

The Dr did a anaesthetic needle into the joint to see if the pain I am still having was nerve related , it's not, I'm still in pain , going to see surgeon again on Tuesday to discuss treatment options ,in the meantime , off work again until I can walk further than the corner without a crutch.

Not  a happy creature at the moment ........
  • kmakm
    Bloody hell @Silba, that's very frustrating. Take it easy and try to keep yourself occupied until it all gets sorted out. K xox
  • Silba
    Well , I am going to vent.

Had results back from PET scan , there is activity showing and a tumour in the actual hip joint that is the culprit of all the pain (apparently) so the solution is a hip replacement at age 50 then once the tumour is biopsy it might be radiation if they don't get it all since it's in a "really tricky spot"

Don't know how long all this is going to take to recover and if ever I will get back to work , at this stage starting to doubt it.

However can't get a straight answer from super insurance if I apply for T & P disability if I can do volunteer or just 12 hrs per week without affecting the insurance side,why is it so hard to get answers to straight forward questions.

All Im hoping for at his stage is to be able to walk without pain and to get out of bed without shuffling , I can handle slow but not the shuffling. :(

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    That's a bugger @Silba.  I hope they're able to get it all with the Hip Replacement. 

Check out this thread re Superannuation that @Sister started.  I am pretty sure that @Zoffiel is quite 'up' on this stuff ...... I hope you are able to access it.  Use up all your sick leave first, and maybe long service leave as well, if needed?
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/19074/superannuation

A buddy of mine in Qld has just been diagnosed with mets in the hip & today the biopsy confirmed it as Breast Cancer Mets (15 years after her initial diagnosis & surgery chemo & rads.)  THey think they'll be able to get it all with a hip replacement & then chemo & rads.  She has the surgery next week.  She is my age - 66.

All the best xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    If you get an answer that is yes for volunteering or a few hours work, make sure that you get it in writing.  
  • kmakm
    Geeze @Silba that sucks. I hope the plan works beautifully and fast. Good luck with the red tape. Big hug, K xox
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Hoping surgery and radiation lowers your pain levels. Dad used to have a bit of radiation here and there when pain got too great. It did seem to work for a while. Hugz <3
  • EAA
    EAA Member Posts: 89
    Hi Silva.. I join with kmakm,s..comments.. it sucks! 
    Good luck with all the outcomes..  hugs and love.. 
    i too hope they can relieve your pain..