Weekend trivia

Romla
Romla Member Posts: 2,092
Please explain.Why do cafes/restaurants go to considerable lengths to make a great coffee using freshly ground beans , an espresso machine and a talented barista but when asked for tea usually just provide boiling water sometimes in a pot and a teabag ?( and for the same price) We seem to have forgotten the great taste of a properly brewed tea made in a teapot with loose leaf tea.As a tea drinker I feel discriminated against .PS I use a teabag at times too but expect better when out. 

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Romla. I totally agree. I take my teapot to work with me. There is nothing nicer than freshly brewed tea made with tea leaves. Sometimes it is possible to get a good chai properly infused. You just have to make a special request.
    I remember when I was having my I.V. chemo. There is a coffee shop attached to the hospital. They charged me $4.50 for a cheap and nasty tea bag in a throw away cup. The tea was far too hot and completely undrinkable.
    I haven't drunk coffee since 2006. It smells far better than it tastes.
    We need a tea drinkers' revolution!😀
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I am a coffee snob and refuse to drink instant. As a tea drinker, you are entitled to also be a snob. I do not buy teabags but have teapots and a variety of teas for my visitors who are horrified that I would be bothered. My sister brings her own teabags when she visits as I refuse to serve up inferior. I even ask which brand of coffee they use before I decide to spend my money in a cafe. Ask before ordering is my motto. That way you do not spit it out, which I have done, I know, gross.
  • Romla
    @Blossom1961 it’s not about snobbery it’s just about taste/flavour for both drinks but I guess each to his own.I also believe tea tastes better out of fine bone china .God only knows why great coffee is drunk so much in paper cups when a Bendigo pottery mug would really set it off.
  • Patti J
    @Romla. Again, I  totally agree. There is nothing nicer than tea or coffee in fine bone china.

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Ladies I was only calling me a snob because I am particularly fussy with my coffee brands. I rarely have tea but when I do at home it is always made in a pot with leaves. My hubby is extremely fussy when it comes to what he drinks out of at home. The cup/mug must be just the right thickness at the rim. If he gets a cup he doesn’t like when we go out he looks at it in disgust. 😆
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    I'm with you @Romla and @Patti J   no teabags in this household.   Love loose leaf tea and also hate it when you go to a nice cafe and you get a pot of boiling water and a teabag for $ 4.50.      I wish I liked coffee but can't stand the taste but love the smell of fresh coffee brewing.  ( although I can manage coffee cake or tiramisu if my arm is twisted )  :p  Lol.
  • Romla
    All good @Blossom1961 we’ve all got our own tastes  - just don’t see why I get shortchanged most times at cafes/restaurants compared to my coffee drinking companions
  • Patti J
    I think that, just as baristas do training in how to make good cups of coffee, there needs to be training in how to make a good cup of tea.
    Coffee shops spend thousands of dollars on coffee machines. They wouldn't dare serve their customers instant coffee, yet, tea drinkers are more often than not given tea bags which would probably cost much less than $1. The profit margin must be enormous.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I drink both tea and coffee and use both instant and the real thing for both.  However, if I'm paying at a cafe, I would expect proper tea, not a teabag.  Hence, I don't order tea at a cafe.  And while I don't use bone china for my tea (I should because I've got all my Mum's lovely cup & saucer sets stored away), tea cannot be drunk out of a chunky mug - it just doesn't taste the same.

Interestingly, I know quite a few teenage boys who won't walk past T2 without going in so surprising that cafes aren't getting the message.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Sister My 13yo boy drinks tea all day everyday. There's a market there for sure.
  • Romla
    @Sister I keep a collection of fine bone China mugs as I like a bigger serve of tea but pull out my tea cup sets to enjoy with a friend and some scones jam and cream.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    I got rid of all my fine bone china when we left NZ.  All Mugs now.

I use 2 x Pot bags in my BIG tea cup every  morning & lunch (it is equal to 2+ cups!)

I have a couple of 'tea strainer' thingies that I use for 'real tea'  now & then - just jiggle them in the hot water for that 'real tea taste' ... and I have a pot sized one too.  It makes it very tidy & easy to get rid of the tea leaves!

Yes, always disappointing when they give you tea bags in a cafe/restaurant ..... specially when they come separate - the hot water & the tea bag!
  • Romla
    Well @kmakm could be a business opportunity to explore - a tea shop with a ready supply of scones jam and cream . “ Tea for a Two “ ? I know high teas with cucumber sandwiches and old fashioned cakes were a very expensive trend here for a while.Might need a large collection of fine bone China cup saucer and plate sets with some teapots and cosies.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Nice idea. Zero energy for accomplishing it however!
  • Romla
    Might be some fun for a small group of friends even dare I say breast friends