Excellent service and understanding from surgeon

Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
Yesterday I had my 6th annual mammogram and ultrasound since my diagnosis and mastectomy back in May 2013. Last year when I went to make the appointment there was a 3 week wait for next available so this year I rang in plenty of time and of course got one almost straight away! This meant a bit of a wait until my appointment with my surgeon for the results and my physical check. Even at 6 years waiting is not a good thing.

The ultrasound lady was reassuring and said everything looked good to her. The mammogram lady just said that it would be checked by 2 doctors etc. This morning I check my emails and here is one from my surgeon saying she has received the report and images and everything looks good, nothing worrisome at all. This surgeon ‘gets it’ that we don’t need to wait and worry! I’ll be thanking her when I see her in a couple of weeks for my actual appointment.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Great service @Deanne
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    So good to hear a good story like that.
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    Ah the little things that make a huge difference. Your surgeon obviously gets it. Great news for you too. 
    Paula xx
  • jintie
    jintie Member Posts: 114
    I have a surgeon like that too.  She even sent an email at 10.30 the night before my surgery to say sleep well and see you in the morning.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Chev That's so kind! How wonderful.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    That is amazing!

It is such a small thing for them to do - but so profound an effect on your mental well being. 

In this day & age, as they already have our emails & mobile numbers, it wouldn't be difficult to set up an 'automatic' reassuring message to everyone about to undergo surgery.
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Maybe giving our doctors positive feedback on the ‘little’ things they do that make such a difference will mean they share that with other doctors/medical professionals and then it might become the standard.

My surgeon encouraged me to email any questions or concerns I had between seeing her for diagnosis and my surgery. That was extremely helpful too. She said that most people are too shocked at diagnosis to think of the questions until later. Very true, I think. I feel fortunate to have been referred to her by my very experienced GP.