Hospital food

Comments

• Polly Rose
    Polly Rose Member Posts: 67
    I’m currently in a private hospital and while the food is serviceable, I still really enjoyed the bucket of KFC popcorn chicken that one of my friends brought in last night lol.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Get well soon @Polly Rose The slammer is no placento be,  though popcorn chicken may make it momentarily acceptable. Mxx
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    What is popcorn chicken?
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    It's fabulously disgusting @Patti J Chunks of what is, ostensibly, chicken, dipped in batter then deep fried. Really disgusting and totally delicious. Mind you I can't , and won't, eat a whole serve but will shamelessly seagull someone else's. Mxx
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I agree with @Zoffiel except I will occasionally order and consume a snack size serve.
  • Polly Rose
    Polly Rose Member Posts: 67
    @Zoffiel that is the most accurate description ever. Like you I only eat a little but last night thoroughly enjoyed it. @Patti J do yourself a favour and try some. They taste so good that you just know they can’t be good for you lol
  • ~Millie~
    ~Millie~ Member Posts: 61
    Had the nurse comment on how I didn't eat much.. I replied there wasn’t a lot of nutritional value 🤣
  • Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Hi 

I have to say that I have been in hospital (private) for a week with a fractured hip,the food has been great, varied tasty and more than enough considering I'm laying in bed not doing much so keeping the calories down is a good thing.

Upside ,I don't have to think about what to cook, making it or washing up .

So I can't complain about it at all.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Silba Illness aside, hospitals always seem a little holiday-like for me. You get a menu, food is brought to you, and then removed, you don't have to do laundry, change sheets, clean anything... heck sometimes you don't have to even clean yourself! I'd never wish to be there, I'd be happy to never see the inside of one again, but if I do, silver linings! K xox
  • Patti J
    edited June 2019
    Hospitals aren't a holiday if you are really ill.
    There is such a difference between food in the public system and private system.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I agree @kmakm You never want to be there and if you're feeling really ill you couldn't care where you are but it does have a small positive side.
  • Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Kmakm
    I'm with you hospital is not I think where anyone really wants to be , but you do have to find the silver linings.

I guess a fractured hip is more of an inconvenience than an illness but when getting out of bed to go to the loo is a challenge enough for now , getting meals delivered is more than I would be getting at home.,so definitely silver linings.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Dad just spent 5 days in a public hospital in Hervey Bay but as a private patient. The meals were good and the couple of fillets of flat head fish were a real treat for dad. He gobbled one up despite how sick he was. Roast beef was a bit too much to try on his system so his carer scored that meal but dad loved the soups they made for him. To try and build him up a bit they also gave him Ensure drinks.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I used to work in the Dietary Dept of a major Sydney Hospital, overseeing serving of meals, menus & updating patient's requirements as they would move from clear fluids to full fluids, to light diet to full diet - and on the whole, the food was pretty good!   I always made sure I had some spare Roast Lamb & CHicken meals (often given to partners of extremely ill patients who were at the ward from morning to night.) Tho the 'light diets' were pretty ordinary - and I was instrumental in getting the Creamed Tripe removed from the menu & replaced with chicken & asparagus in a cream sauce!  Using 'economy' as the excuse - a false economy to continue plating up & serving Creamed Tripe, only for it to be put in the bin - vs Chicken & Asparagus that was actually eaten .... not thrown out.

As the Dietary Aide for the Gynae/Plastic surgery ward and a general surgery ward - I was able to do specific meals for the more needy patients too, including making things like Roast Dinners & Casseroles into a 'thick liquid' by using a blender & lots of gravy etc to make it fit thru a 'big straw' so they could suck it in & get the actual flavours instead of just having stuff like Ensure etc.  I would do that with tinned fruit & custard/ice cream etc as well, to give them some variety in flavours as well.  I always had some fresh sandwiches on hand for those that couldn't cope with a hot meal.

They had their own kitchen back then & all cooking & serving was done from there.  These days, it is all brought in from outside, pre packed.

When my husband had his stomach cancer surgery at North Shore Private in Sydney - the meals were excellent, altho he couldn't eat any until his last few days there as he was on Nil By Mouth & fluids for so long.  

It is totally false economy to serve up crap meals that only get thrown out.
  • Patti J
    I was reliably informed that the public hospital I was in feeds patients for $2 per day. The meals arrive in shrink wrapped plastic. They are much worse than airline food.
    Over the years, public hospital food in N.S.W. has deteriorated immensely.
    Christmas dinners are not even good for a dog.