Newly diagnosed

Sabbra
Sabbra Member Posts: 9
edited May 2019 in Newly diagnosed
the waiting is a bitch, I only found out on Wednesday, I have US and CT tomorrow and stressing to the max, the not knowing is quite awful.  Ductal  carcinoma In situ and metastatic carcinoma in lymph gland, no family history and I’m scared

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited May 2019
    I am SO sorry to see you here, @Sabbra - but you have come to the right place for support and advice.

Where abouts are you (city or town/state) - as others may know of specific Breast Cancer help available in your town/state.

It sounds like you've had biopsies done but not necessarily the surgery? 

Yes, the waiting really sucks!   I know it will sound trite - but once the surgery has been done, mentally, it can become a lot 'easier' - fear of the unknown is what rules our brain at first diagnosis.

Put up any questions that you have - I am sure that someone with the same condition as you will give you valuable advice shortly.

In the mean time, all the best for your US & CT tomorrow - and try & keep as busy as you can until you know what the game plan is

take care xx
  • Sabbra
    Thank you @Arpie, trying to keep busy but the brain does take over, good most of the time
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi and welcome.

Below are a couple of links to help you find your way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

Navigating the online community formerly the what and how thread.

http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey online tool and other resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information or support please call 1800 500 258. BCNA’s helpline will now be open from 9am-6pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm Fridays.  

How to understand your pathology reports

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/breast-pathology/breast-cancer-pathology

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi @Sabbra,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find it to be as warm and helpful as I have. For me it's been a lifeline. You can come here for a pity party, a laugh (really!), a vent, and endless questions. It's an amazing hive mind.

The waiting is the absolute pits. In many ways it's the worst part of the whole breast cancer experience.

The only way through it is to take it one day at a time, and distract, distract, distract. TV, friends, exercise, whatever it is, do it.

I know you're scared. Everyone here has felt what you're feeling now. Take comfort that Australia (and Finland) lead the world in the treatment of breast cancer. It's a well oiled machine and you will get the best of care.

Come back tomorrow and tell us how you went. Biggest of hugs lovely, K xox
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Dear @Sabbra, ditto to what our network members above have said and 

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    They never picked up on my lymph node being positive until I had the actual surgery, then I ended up with a second surgery to remove all nodes, just to make sure it was all gone. Nodes usually mean you will need chemo. They can do it before or after the surgery so more waiting for you to see which they choose. 
    There will be a meeting between your surgeon, an oncologist and a radiographer to sort out a treatment plan. Then they will put the suggestion to you.
    I found it kind of surreal that I had to get quite sick with chemo to treat breast cancer that didn't really bother me at the time at all. One day at a time and you will get through it. <3

• Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi and welcome Sabbra,
    Sorry to see you here, but you have come to the right place for support and understanding of what you are going through, mentally and physically.

Waiting is the hardest, it’s usually where your brain goes into overload thinking about so much.
    My advice is don’t use google as it’s not accurate. The only website I would recommend is Cancer Council or BCNA.

I did a meditation and mindfulness course which I found beneficial for my well being and to help me sleep at night.
    Do things that you enjoy to take your mind of things, I use to turn the music up loud and sing, I threw myself into house work, so I was tired enough at night time to get to sleep.

What state are you in as I’m sure other people will be able to point you in the right direction for support and breast cancer nurses in your area.
    This Network is amazing and there may be someone local to you.
    Just remember YOU CAN DO THIS. 
    Sending the biggest cyber hugs your way
    xoxo
  • Sabbra
    I had surgery last Monday to have my lump and 2/3 lymph nodes removed, on Thursday was advised that the good news was that only one lymph node had cancer, unfortunately my lump was actually 5cm and not the 2 cm as diagnosed in my ultrasound even the day of surgery for a hook wire, so back to surgery Monday morning for more breast tissue to be taken, hoping this the last surgery, thank you everyone for your support 
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi Sabbra, when I had my ultrasound they said it was 1.5 cm, when actually removed was told it was 2.5 cm.
    Hang in there, you can do this.......
    Anytime you want to talk we are here.
    xoxo
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Yeah mine doubled in size too (also had a hookwire). It's quite common. Sadly the imaging technology is not perfect. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Yep! Mine was 2.5cm and no spread in the imaging - 4.5cm and 3 nodes at surgery for lumpectomy.  Back in a couple of weeks later for mastectomy.  It's a lot more common than you'd think.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    All the best for your next round of surgery @Sabbra - take care xx

• Sabbra
    @Sister @kmakm @Shellshocked2018_ @arpie thank you ladies for your support, ❤️❤️
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Good luck for tomorrow  @Sabbra .  Like the others I had to go back in for more surgery to widen safety margins then chemo and following that a mastectomy.  Hoping you have a speedy recovery from the surgery.  xo
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Yep, 1.9 cm no lymph nodes to 2.5 cm & 1 out of 9 lymph nodes