What I wish I had understood 4 months ago.

Frances54
Frances54 Member Posts: 19
edited May 2019 in Newly diagnosed
I wish I had trusted that I would get knocked down but I would get up again. That my fears of chemo were real but exaggerated. Yes AC was tough but Paclitaxel less so. That I should just listen to my body and rest. Woolies online shopping was a godsend when energy was low.  Have a project: I'm a family history nut and sitting at the computer was doable when physical exertion wasn't. Finding the family skeletons gave me a purpose.  A walk in the outside air is therapeutic. A coffee with a friend more so. But limit talking about your treatment, symptoms, etc to a few minutes so you can participate in the real world. That much of what you read online is to be taken with a truck load  of salt  That Dr Googling can be soul destroying. (But I did it anyway!)  That some friends wont be there. They are doing their best and perhaps it isnt good enough, but let it go. You've had a reality check, are you REALLY going to waste another minute on it. Accept their apologies,if they come, with grace. Say yes to any and every offer: a walk, a meal, a vacuum. And pay it forward when another sister gets the same spin of the dice.  Life doesn't stop with chemo you just have to pace yourself. Grrrrrr. I hated that. Six months ago I was cycling 40 kms. My three words were: acceptance, patience, courage. Patience was tough. Some days my three words all started with F. But I got there. You will too. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @Frances54 Hindsight is not fun. If we had only............    

Acceptance, as you say, is necessary. I am struggling accepting my after treatment leftovers. Well done you on achieving it.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited May 2019
    Well said!
    Acceptance is the key!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Brilliant. Kudos. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Right on, sister!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Awesome
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Bloody awesome @Frances54.  Well done you.
  • LibbyA
    LibbyA Member Posts: 53
    Brilliant.
  • Michele B
    Michele B Member Posts: 136
    Well done you!!
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Love it!!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Not as hard as you think but bloody hard. Congrats.
  • Quote_Queen_67
    Quote_Queen_67 Member Posts: 11
    Every word rings true! Needed to read this as I get through my last week of AC treatment. Not looking forward to Taxol but need to accept what will be will be. Thank you!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Amen. MXX
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Well said Frances54.
    xx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    That pretty well well sums it up!
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
    Dear @Frances54, Thanks for for your story, and encouraging and inspiring words to us all. Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW