Guilty pleasures

Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
edited May 2019 in General discussion
It's been an interesting week. Physically challenging, it's also been quite tricky emotionally. There have been confessions and difficult conversations. Moments of triumph and others of deep sadness. We tell each other to be kind to ourselves, but that isn't always easy. 
Today, on a whim, I went and had a relaxation massage. Funds being as they are, massages are generally only for therapeutic purposes and I've always had concerns that the women employed in the sudden proliferation of walk in massage businesses may be being exploited. There is never an absence of guilt, is there?
It was fantastic. I almost felt like I'd done something wrong; is it right to dribble while someone puts hot stones on your back and stokes your AI ravaged body? Anyway, I tipped the young woman (which also felt somehow wrong) and have been blissed out on the couch all afternoon.
So, what have you done for yourself lately?

Tagged:

Comments

• Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Sounds totally blissful @Zoffiel. Good on you!! I haven’t done anything for myself for a looonnngggg time. Maybe it’s time!! 
  • Zoffiel
    It's time @doodoo :)
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I think I'm supposed to think the relaxation time after my acupuncture needles are inserted is nice, but the slightest movement on my part results in agony so it's not really working for me from that point of view!

One of my kids gave me a reflexology foot massage voucher for Mothers Day. Using it will be my next treat. I'll save it for the next time the pain flares up. Or if the acupuncture works (which I'm increasingly hopeful it will), just for a treat!
  • Zoffiel
    Do it as a treat @kmakm It's always so bloody disappointing when something that is approached as a 'treatment' doesn't work. Being covered in oil, hot stones and warm towels or having your feet rubbed is always going to be a winner. No expectations, just lovely nowness. And a little bit of guilt...
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    Well done, YOU, @Zoffiel - I hope you treat yourself again soon!! 

hehe, I usually fall asleep on the table when receiving a relaxing massage - haven't had one for decades!!  

Sorry you are going thru a rough patch .... take care, our thoughts are with you xxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    @kmakm
    Hope you enjoy the Reflexology! It's certainly interesting!
    I had a session within a couple of months of a mastectomy.  The practitioner saw me as difficult.  It was obviously too early for me as I  couldn't relax into it. The mood was set with the subdued lighting and calming music.  It felt like a stranger playing with my feet rather than than a relaxing massage. You are further along the diagnosis path so I am sure you will get benefit from it.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I've had several times @iserbrown, I really enjoy it! I think I'm quite responsive. He presses a toe and my right temple will tingle or somesuch!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Sounds wonderful @zoffiel.  Hope you're travelling okay.

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,539
    Mine was free through Counterpart but as I say too early in the piece when I was over protective of self and a friend tapping her toes waiting for me. Recipe for disaster 

Anyone in Melbourne may want to check it out

https://counterpart.org.au/?s=Reflexology+

• Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Sounds good @Zoffiel! My next pampering event will be in July when our group of girlfriends go on our 25 years friendship celebration to Byron Bay. We've always gone away somewhere every year from when the kids were finished with the breastfeeding stage, but in Victoria. We manage to find somewhere for a massage, some places have been great, others okay. Its just lovely to be able to relax and have some 'me' time. So glad you enjoyed it. Don't forget to do it again when you can! I will enjoy mine all the more this time being on my drug holiday 😊
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @Zoffiel I'm SO glad you did that. When I worked in IT earning real money, and working ridiculously long hours under stress, I used to have one every Sunday afternoon. Bliss. These days it's usually only when one of my children gifts it to me. I've always said if I were super-rich, I'd have a massage room and employ a masseuse and all my friends could come and use her services whenever they wanted, and I'd have one every day myself.
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    I need to follow your lead! X