Alcohol

Doin'it
Doin'it Member Posts: 377
edited May 2019 in Health and wellbeing
Anyone else too scared to drink alcohol!! I never drank a lot, but when we catch up with friends & I watch them all having a few, & relaxing, I feel so left out 
Tagged:

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    No reason you cannot have any alcohol as things such as red wine can actually have benefit but I would also have my water bottle handy to re-hydrate and keep my mouth from getting dry.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Doodoo. Being forced to drink non-alcoholic drinks because of my health condition, you become very creative. Many places serve mocktails.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    It's a dilemma. Have a few and feel guilty if your cancer progresses or abstain and have it happen anyway. I've not got enough will power to give up completely so it's a moot argument.
    My 'looks like booze' stand by is pomegranate juice and soda water. I pretend it has vodka in it.
  • Doin'it
    Soda water with a piece of lemon is it now. I miss the relaxation that comes with a few stronger beverages 😏
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Monis red sparkling grape juice looks like red wine. Monis white grape juice ditto white wine, and Appletizer sparkling apple juice also looks like white wine or Champagne. Doesn't taste like the real thing, but socially gives the appearance of an adult beverage.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,950
     I am doing lots of things 'right' in my BC survival phase: exercise, healthy food, lost some weight. I have cut down the amount of grog I drink, and should reduce more; but I have not given up. I admit I avoid information about the connection between alcohol and BC occurrence. 
    Best wishes to you @Doodoo for your health and enjoyment of life
  • Doin'it
    I love reading all your stories. Thanks for the input. Cheers to you all xx
  • Doin'it
    Love it @kezmusc xo
  • Michele B
    Michele B Member Posts: 136
    Hi @Doodoo, I also felt too guilty and worried to have any alcohol for a little while, however my breast surgeon said quality of life is important too..and a glass of wine once or twice a week is part of that quality.  She just said all things in moderation. Sounded good to me!! I now look forward to the weekend and usually have 1 or maybe 2 .
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I just have the occasional one when out, now...and I make sure it's something nice.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Quality of life I say. I refuse to let fear rule me. I don't drink daily but I do indulge when I really feel like a drink or out to dinner. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I have cut back a lot, but am not teetotal. I am surprised by how much better I feel without it, and when I do have it I enjoy it more. However I still torture myself with guilt...

I recently heard a doctor on the ABC that the medical/science community now think that there's no safe level of alcohol consumption. It's been linked to several other cancers, including bowel, liver and mouth & throat cancers.

The problem is booze is a ridiculously central part of Australian culture as you perfectly demonstrate. You feel left out. It's crazy isn't it?!

I still think I need to drink less than I do, and I don't drink much. Gargh!

My current favourite drink to have when I'm not having an alcoholic one is a Garden Tonic. It's tonic water with a tiny bit of elderflower cordial, a slice of cucumber, a sprig of rosemary and a squeeze of lemon or lime. It's so yum, and that slightly bitter tang of the tonic gives a slight illusion of it being alcoholic!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    My favourite softie is chinotto as it's not overly sweet and has a more complex flavour than most, along the lines of wine, etc.  Big bad with sugar, though.