Breast cancer in the media

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Blossom1961 haha! uuuugh no, it all comes back to the whole point you were trying to make...perception, everyone is different and that really is ok lol. Yes it is underestimated how much we deal with not just physically, but mentally and emotionally...and we really don't acknowledge that most of the time, because we just get on with it?? instead of allowing ourselves a little slack? sometimes! think we've earned it, don't you think? :) be kind to you x
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Thanks for that @kmakm
  • melclarity
    @kmakm that was an interesting read, the downsizing surgery part is how I was managed initially but I had a recurrence. Something I've been wondering and have put it to my Oncologist is in ER+ such as myself, as it's oestrogen receptive Breast Cancer. Why aren't women screened from a certain age to detect oestrogen levels and if high which is what leads to trouble, can readjust through diet or some sort of medication as prevention??? 

Every case is different and they dont always get treatment right, they have such a long way to go even when you read that, which makes no sense really why we arent further advanced. My Oncologist has a rule of thumb for chemo and that is more about the Grade and stage together. I was grade 3 aggressive but only stage 2 thank goodness! but 3 is automatic chemo. We all make the decisions we believe to be best for ourselves and with no regrets and I think thats all we can do. 

In hindsight for my past 8yrs and where I am now I wouldve chosen a different path for myself. It is all in the genetics and so many mutations not yet identified and this is the problem.

Here's to more major breakthroughs to eradicate it and for much better treatments and no more chemo. :)  
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @melclarity Here's to that.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Lots of good info in Liz's article, @kmakm   Thanks for that

• youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    Has anyone read Liz’s book? Any good?
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited May 2019
    @youngdogmum Apart from the UK centric nature it's excellent I thought. Clear, concise, compassionate. Reminded me of a pregnancy book in a way! The step by step nature of the layout.
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    @kmakm have managed to track it down from a neighbor library, awaiting its delivery :smiley:
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Thanks, @kmakm, as with her blog, a great article.

@melclarity, I can see your logic in looking at oestrogen levels, but post menopausal women still get ER positive bc, with low levels of circulating oestrogen. I would think it may possibly be nothing to do with blood levels as such, but the receptors on tissue cells
  • melclarity
    @lrb_03 it is interesting, I think I made the comment as I spoke to a Scientist about 6 months ago, a very interesting conversation. She is pre menopausal but suffered fibroids, anyway she gets her oestrogen levels checked and she said when we have predominantly high levels circulating and for a long time is what leads to problems be it in the uterus or breast. 

I did receive a reply from my Oncologist today about alot of things. This is what he said about the question that I had.

Tamoxifen works in the same way whatever the level of oestrogen is in the blood, hence a reason why we don't 'check' levels of oestrogen in the blood. Also, we don't believe that spot oestrogen levels per se affect breast cancer development, but rather it is the prolonged exposure to oestrogen that has the major impact  - hence why some women who take HRT for years after menopause have a higher risk of developing breast cancer. 

So from this I understand now from him, that he's saying it doesn't matter the levels in the blood but rather the prolonged exposure to oestrogen. I guess I wondered if we had high levels of oestrogen surely at a younger age being aware of that and reducing it either by diet which is very possible or medication of some sort would surely impact BC developing. Just a thought. I was asking him in terms of prevention, uuugh so frustrating.

All interesting but then I think, theyre no closer to knowing anything about how it all works. 18 months and I am DONE! finished with an AI after being on medication currently for 8.5 years I am soooo over it all!!! 

x M
  • lrb_03
    I've been on AI's for a bit over 3 years, @melclarity. My med onc hasn't yet broached continuing beyond 5 years, but that will be an interesting discussion, as I'm not keen to continue, having developed bilateral de quervain's.

I certainly had prolonged oestrogen exposure,  having never been pregnant, and staring menstruating at a young age. 
    As @kezmusc says, for me, worrying about what caused it is like closing the gate after the horse has bolted. There's nothing I can change. It is, however, a question that needs asking from a research perspective if we're ever to have a chance of prevention, not just cure

Always like to read your comments, your thoughts and questions.
    Take care
  • melclarity
    @lrb_03 I was on tamoxifen for 4yrs thats not at AI though. Then due to a recurrence i was thrown into menopause where I was put onto Arimidex. So my total time on an AI will only be 5yrs. Its just a bummer tamoxifen didnt work.
  • lrb_03
    It will still be a total of 10 years on something, which is what more & more oncologists are recommending,  @melclarity. Having been thrown in to menopause by chemo, I went straight to AI.