Persistent cough

JoeyLiz
JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
Hi ladies,
Sorry I haven't been very active lately I have been flat out with work. 

Any way, at the end of March I flew to Adelaide to present at a conference and got sinus from the flight, it took a long time to go away and turned into a cold as well. Since then I have had a persistent cough, mostly dry but occasionally bringing up green/yellow mucus. It feels like I have something stuck in there but I just can't dislodge it no matter how much and hard I cough. So this cough has been here for about 5-6wks.

Silly question, but it's just a leftover cough right? Couldn't possibly be anything else.... Getting into my Drs seems impossible right now, no appointments for 12days! Will call them again tomorrow to see if any spots have become available, guess I just want some peace of mind.... 

Comments

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @JoeyLiz. I have had a persistent cough on and off since my Mets diagnosis in July, 2017. Nothing will shake it. It sounds like a smoker's cough.
    My oncologist doesn't know what it is. She has checked my lungs. She is reluctant to send me for a chest X-ray because of all the other radiology tests that I have.
    Hope your cough goes away soon.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It probably is just a persistent cough from a simple chest infection but you're not going to rest until you get it checked out.  It might be time to wave the cancer card at the drs and get one of their emergency appointments.  
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Worth getting it checked out!  Can you ask to be put on the cancellation list? 
    A persistent cough had been part of my colds last year...………….felt like it was never ever going to shift!  The first lasted 6 weeks and the second last 8 weeks...…….yuk!  
    This year so far, touch wood...………..

Take care and keep warm and hopefully that appointment will come soon
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @JoeyLiz
    Forgot to say, hope your presentation was well received at the Adelaide conference - can't beat the experience of a patient in your instance who is also qualified in the service on offer, Radiation as treatment for Cancer!
    Good on you!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Coughing is listed as a side effect of Letrozole. Are you on Tamoxifen @JoeyLiz? Have you checked the sife effects list? K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    So sorry you have the cough @JoeyLiz - it is just so annoying & tiring too, if keeping you awake in the night too.  

If your mucus is green - it is a chest infection & you should be on antibiotics.  Cream - pale yellow mucus is usually 'normal'.

I had a similar persistent cough in the 6 months lead up to my diagnosis that I couldn't shake - and even ended up on prednisone as well as having the antibiotics earlier.

My mantra is If In Doubt Get Checked Out

Yep - I would be requesting an Xray for your own peace of  mind.  

Can your Breast Care Nurse assist you with getting an appointment asap?

All the best  xx

• ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Hi all,

Wondering if anybody has had a persistent cough since radiation, and I keep getting a build up of flem/mucus. I bring up clear mucus and then it settles for a while. I have an appointment to see the oncologist on Wednesday.
    Thanks Cheryl
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Being a Melbournite, a cough is a signal to get checked! A COVID swab and probably antibiotics if it’s a ‘normal’ chest infection, which is the most likely outcome. One of the unforeseen benefits of lockdown has been a reduction in seasonal flu and chest complaints, because more people get them checked, treated and don’t pass them on! Best wishes. 
  • ChezaH

Afraser said:

Being a Melbournite, a cough is a signal to get checked! A COVID swab and probably antibiotics if it’s a ‘normal’ chest infection, which is the most likely outcome. One of the unforeseen benefits of lockdown has been a reduction in seasonal flu and chest complaints, because more people get them checked, treated and don’t pass them on! Best wishes. 

Thanks for that Cheryl

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Hi @ChezaH,
    I started coughing about 2.5 weeks into radiation. So for the remaining 2.5, plus another 2-3 after radiation, I continued to cough persistently. I didn’t have a cold, just the cough. There was not much phlegm, and mostly just clear. I didn’t do a covid test and I also didn’t see my GP about it, because I knew it wasn’t covid, as I’ve had this cough before, just not this long. The radiation therapists and my onc all saw that I was coughing, but no one said anything, they just helped me when I needed to cough with the ‘snorkel’ in my mouth. It eventually went away, mostly when I moved from my parents’ place where I was staying, so I assume it was because of that due to the damp in the place. That in combination with the radiation, I’m guessing. This new place has no damp so no cough here. 
    Hope your cough goes away soon. It’s extremely tiring and annoying, especially during a time when you get looked at like you’re Godzilla if you even sneeze, let alone cough 🙄. 
    All the best ❤️ Xx

• ChezaH

FLClover said:

Hi @ChezaH,
    I started coughing about 2.5 weeks into radiation. So for the remaining 2.5, plus another 2-3 after radiation, I continued to cough persistently. I didn’t have a cold, just the cough. There was not much phlegm, and mostly just clear. I didn’t do a covid test and I also didn’t see my GP about it, because I knew it wasn’t covid, as I’ve had this cough before, just not this long. The radiation therapists and my onc all saw that I was coughing, but no one said anything, they just helped me when I needed to cough with the ‘snorkel’ in my mouth. It eventually went away, mostly when I moved from my parents’ place where I was staying, so I assume it was because of that due to the damp in the place. That in combination with the radiation, I’m guessing. This new place has no damp so no cough here. 
    Hope your cough goes away soon. It’s extremely tiring and annoying, especially during a time when you get looked at like you’re Godzilla if you even sneeze, let alone cough 🙄. 
    All the best ❤️ Xx

Thanks for your imput, I know it not Covid, and I am not sick with a cold/flu etc checking with the doctor to see what he says Cheers Cheryl x
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    I had a chest infection for 3 1/2 weeks.  Had a covid test came back negative but I still have a cough.  It's been 5 weeks now.  I have an asthma puffer to help me.  I find having lemsip or hot water with lemon and honey help but my head pounds when I cough.  
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    @Locksley I hate it when my head pounds when I cough, as if the cough itself isn’t bad enough. Just check if there’s damp where you live, in case it’s triggering it. Hope it goes away soon 🤞
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi @FLClover
    How do I check if there is damp?  Cheers
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Do you live in a cool climate ?  Is your home relatively dark ?
    You can buy a few moisture absorbers and see how much dampness they take up.
    I have the Hippo brand (from Woolies, about $7 each) and put them in all rooms for winter damp and summer humidity.  It is amazing how much dampness they take from the air.  Friends have tried other brands but I stick with these as I know they are good.  We initially bought them for the caravan (which never got the musty caravan smell).  Worth a try.