www.bosombuddies.org.au comment
  • Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Great, thanks Karen 😊
  • MrsMac
    MrsMac Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi @Mjheke Welcome to Canberra.  I have lived in Canberra almost all my life and LOVE it.  I also live in Garran so if you would like to meet up and have a coffee I would love to introduce you to some of my favourite things to do in Canberra.  I have had mastectomy, chemo and finished radiation on Friday!!  Living in Garran I was able to walk over to all my treatments/appointments at either National Capital Private Hospital or The Canberra Hospital (Public) which was very convenient.
  • Mjheke
    Options
    Hi, 

Thanks so much! We are really loving it too. I really feel quite settled already. Our furniture arrived today which helps! How wonderful for you to have finished radiotherapy. I hope the post-radiotherapy burns are not too terrible. We also love Garran, it’s so convenient to everything. My work is 6 minutes drive 😊 I’d love a coffee catch up, let me know when you are free. I work casually, so my work days often change. Feel free to PM me. 

Michelle 
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    It really is a great place. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far, @Mjheke. Have you found places for your furniture? It'll certainly feel much more like home with familiar items. How is the job going?

@MrsMac, congratulations on finishing active treatment. Take care in the coming weeks & months, it can be a tough time for many. I grew up here in Canberra, before leaving in my late teens and not returning until my mid 30's. It truly is a beautiful city, but lets keep that a secret  :D  :)
    Also happy to chat any time
  • JillyM
    JillyM Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Michelle, congratulations on your move! I went public and couldn’t fault it. My mastectomy was done at Calvary Public and went smoothly, and my chemo and radiation were at the new Cancer Regional Centre at the Canberra Hospital (which is actually quite luxurious).

One thing I will warn you about though - i had a mammogram and ultrasound last year which came back clear. Just 3 months later however, I was seeing a surgeon to have a mastectomy with a 2.5cm invasive ductal cancer. Not joking. So I was already quite disappointed with the screening company (Canberra Imaging Group).

I recently found another lump in the other breast and explained to my surgeon that I didn’t have any confidence in the mammogram and asked if I could have an MRI/ultrasound instead. The referral said “pls bulk bill”. Capital imaging Group have refused to bulk bill me for this procedure and informed me that I will be out of pocket $740!!!

I explained that I had had to give up my job and couldn’t afford that amount but they effectively told me “too bad”. Consequence....? I’ll just have to wait for my annual mammogram which isn’t due until October. 

So, watch out for the big companies. Your health (your life) means nothing to them....it’s all about money.

Sorry to be negative - I’m trying to stay positive - but just so that you’re warned.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @JillyM Maybe that will change after the federal election. Both major parties have promised a lot of money to cancer treatment.
  • lrb_03
    Options
    @JillyM, ring some of the other companies. They should all accept forms for any company, and you have that right. I'll pm you some info.
    Having said that, there are very limited conditions under which breast MRI has any level of cover by medicare, so that could also be the issue, regardless of what is written on the request
  • Mjheke
    Options
    That’s terrible @JillyM. I had an MRI after I was diagnosed in Brisbane and it cost me $350. Shame that they have the discrepancy to charge whatever they want. I have found the same going privately. Cost varies so much. @kmakm, will Ben inter to see if they follow through with their promises. I am originally from New Zealand, so am unable to vote. ☹️
  • Mjheke
    Options
    @lrb_03 our furniture fits well into our new place thanks. Still unpacking...I’m not in any rush. Work is going well in that although I am casual, I am getting plenty! Keen for a catch up soon 😊
  • lrb_03
    Options
    I'm glad that things are going well. Once you're settled and ready, pm me and we'll get organised ☺
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,574
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I thought of you, as we went past the Canberra turnoff last weekend, @Mjheke  .... The Snowy Mountains are the playground of Canberrans, as is the South Coast towns!!  ;)  

Have fun unpacking!!!