6 years and counting my blessings!

Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
 Six years ago today I received a phone call from the nurse at my GPs saying that my GP would like to see me that morning. I knew that this was probably not good news about the mammogram and ultrasound I had had the Thursday before. It was a very brief visit where I was to hear the words suspicious for malignancy and the start of a whirlwind change in life direction. 

Today (exactly 6 years later) I also visited the GP but thankfully it had absolutely nothing to do with cancer or any ill health at all. Just organising some vaccines before a wonderful adventure later this year.

So today I feel so fortunate that the cancer was found when it was and that I am in a position of good health again now. 2013 was a tough year (mastectomy, Chemo, radio and the beginning of anti-hormone therapy) and there have been a few hurdles since then too, but right now I’m feeling so well.

When you finish active treatment you finally have time to catch your breath and it is  that ‘what now’? feeling. I did not know how I was going to handle the side effects of treatment or how I was ever going to have any energy again! But with no choice but to keep putting one foot in front of the other, I slowly found my way.

What I have gained over that time is a new knowledge about what is important to me. Last year my husband and I made some major changes that enable us to spend more time and energy on the things that matter to us. Life has changed so much since that diagnosis. My daughters are now 26 and 24 and leading independent lives. We have lost my mother-in-law, who was such a support when I was going through treatment. 

Life is short but oh so precious. Cancer (and treatment) took some of that time but has given me the determination to spend the rest of it wisely. I am so thankful to be living a life doing things I love with people I love. I know that it can all change in the blink of an eye but I won’t let that thought take away from the good things I’m experiencing today. 

Thank-you for all the support I have received over the last 6 years. I joined BCNA just after my first chemo and I really don’t think I would be where I am today without that support. I still visit often and help out if I think I have something useful to offer. On the positive side, so many things have changed for the better since my diagnosis. I have real hope that soon this disease will be treatable for all. Take care everyone. xxx

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Congratulations Deanne. I'm so glad life is good for you now. K xox
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    Wonderful @Deanne, I'm glad you are doing well and enjoying each day as it comes xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Congratulations on 6 years on and reclaiming life. X
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Beautiful post @Deanne.  Congratulations and than you for sharing.  xoxoxo
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    What a milestone! 

• kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    great post @Deanne so glad you are living a full life with the people you love. That's precious. xo
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Just want to thank you for sharing your wonderful story with us - it is a real boon to know someone has gotten through it all and  is out enjoying life.

It’s a tough ride at times  breast cancer and does change our lives but  sometimes maybe for the better as we remember what’s important. Looking forward to many more years of your jottings.xo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    That's fantastic for those following behind and for future in our treatments even
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Awesome to hear this Deanne 

• GavinCh
    GavinCh Member Posts: 26
    So Awesome to hear such good news. Congrats
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I saw that story, too @deanne.  The future does look more promising, doesn't it?  What a wonderful post and kind of cool to be spending a little of your 6 year anniversary at the same place preparing for a new adventure.  Best wishes and have a brilliant holiday.
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Congratulations, your message made me feel so happy and positive.  Keep enjoying life you have earnt it!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    You are an inspiration to getting life back on track. <3

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    Thanks @Brenda5. I had to rethink my goals and find a way forward on this new track that I had been pushed onto! I had to make life simpler because I couldn’t go back to what had been happening before. It has taken me a while to feel ok about that. This is the first year I have been able to plan something more than a few weeks in advance, so that feels better. 

Hope that you are keeping well. Take care.  :)