Tattooing over mastectomy scar

LMK74
LMK74 Member Posts: 795
edited April 2019 in General discussion
Hi ladies, just wondering if any of you have had a tattoo over your mastectomy scar. It's something I would like to do but I'm keen to hear from anyone who can tell me what it was like. I recently got my first ever tattoo on my forearm and didn't think it was painful at all. Just putting it out there in the hope someone has done it.
Thanks Lisa 
Tagged:

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @LMK74 Sorry I can’t help yet. I am going to get one end May.
  • LMK74
    Hi @Blossom1961, are you getting it over your mastectomy scar. Did you have to check with your medical team that it's ok.
  • Blossom1961
    Yes I am getting it over my scar and my surgeon says it is okay just so long as I wait six months after surgery.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I am definitely doing it over my recon scars, but want to get my nipples made first. I'm going to get something like this for my areola:

If you're on Instagram @LMK74, search the hashtag #mastectomytattoo and you'll find thousands. It's what I spent my sleepless nights during chemo doing! K xox
  • LMK74
    That's really cool @Blossom1961. Would you let me know how you go .
    I can't wait to do it but I'm on blood thinners and have to stop them at least a week beforehand plus I'm on palbociclib which is screwing my platelets. Bloody breast cancer keeps on giving. 
  • LMK74
    @kmakm, I've seen lots of pictures surfing the net but I'm more scared how much it will hurt or not hurt lol. I had wanted a tattoo for my mum and finally did it and so glad I did , can't wait to get more.
  • Blossom1961
    @LMK74 I am not a tattoo person. I simply cannot see the beauty or art in most of them. However, I think a tatt over my mx site would give me more confidence. At the moment, I really dislike that mirror after my shower. My hubby is going to design one for me, so I will be wearing his art although hidden.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I'm too indecisive for permanent body art. I change the paintings/prints on the walls a couple of times a year--too long working in a TAFE gallery space equals too many bargain artworks and not enough walls to hang them. 
    The other issue is having someone work on me for that long; I can tolerate a 40 minute massage, but I really dislike anyone touching me now. And the noise has always stressed me. I used to do template drawings for a tattooist back in the 90's and the buzzing did my head in.
  • LMK74
    @Blossom1961, I get it , I hate looking in the mirror after a shower and hate what breast cancer has done to my body. I never been one for tatts either but really wanted one after my mum died. Any more I get will be in places unseen. What a lovely idea having hubby design it.
    @Zoffiel, I'm also like that and that's why I never got any. I would only get one's that have a meaning for me. Love them or loathe them lol.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @LMK74 @Blossom1961 Same. I dislike those blank rounds of different coloured flesh that sit there, and the wibbly wobbly scars. I just don't look at it. I want something where my 'fipples' will be because of that corner of the eye thing. If there's something there it will be less noticeable. Because I love India, some beautiful mehndi style curls over my lumpectomy, recon and drain scars will help me claim this new body landscape as mine, as me. It won't be on display. It's for me.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited April 2019
    I haven't but certainly considered it before surgery. My surgeon did such a great job my scar is barely visible now. I'll eventually have an aeroli tattoo but in no hurry.
  • Blossom1961
    Tattooing booked in for Tuesday. I have four days to make a final decision on design. It is now out of three. Everyday we transfer one on to my chest so that I get a chance to love it or ditch it. My favourite so far lasted until the next morning with me loving it. Then I thought maybe it looked like I was hiding a saggy boob even though there is no boob there! Decision time and whatever I choose, it is lifelong.
  • LMK74
    Good luck @Blossom1961. Please tell me how it goes.
    X
  • Blossom1961
    Decision made! I hate needles. WHAT am I doing? Stop listening to my fears. I want this. Just do it. I haven’t spent months contemplating it to back out now. Go girl.
  • LMK74
    You'll be fine @Blossom1961. Consider what we've been through. I put off getting a tattoo for ages because of fear. It was not painful at all. That was my forearm. In memory of my mum. Plus my blood group on the wrist.