The Secret Suckiness Of Life After Breast Cancer

Comments

• Sandyr
    Sandyr Member Posts: 11
    My husband and I usually have a month inqueensland for our holiday, was looking forward to it so much we go in a campervan.its been over 12 months since I was last in hospital and I got the all clear for my breast cancer just recently.
    little did I realise I would find  it hard just to get in and out of the van ,at the campsite I usually try to use the toilets there ,struggling.but after a couple of weeks my fitness did improve although I still wasn't up to bushwalking.its taken me awhile to accept this is my new normal now,the outcome could have been a whole lot worse so I have to appreciate that aspect.wishing you all the best sandy 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It's a shock to realise how quickly we lose condition.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Thanks @kezmusc. Some studies have shown it helps, others not. Like so much about BC, it seems to be completely individual.

Reckon it'll be hypnosis next...
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Apparently I have lost my filter since starting this whole BC thing. Instead of responding nicely to irritating comments or emails, I tell them what I actually think. Poor hubby has taken over responding to emails. I can’t be trusted lol. If people are nasty I used to smile sweetly and move on. Now I look them up and down as though I stood in something stinky. I think I better find that filter before I get in too much trouble.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    You're not the only one, @Blossom1961   LOL     Hush my mouth!!   

When someone is whinging about stuff - I often say (to myself as well as out loud)  "Well, if that's the worst thing that's going to happen to you today, it ain't all that bad!!"  (And that is me being NICE!)
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Blossom1961
    I can still vividly remember (and  can  still picture the scene in my head) a few days after I had returned home from the big city where my world slipped on its axis and chucked me off; of pulling into a parking spot outside our post office to collect the mail,  when I was accosted by a "lady" who then proceeded to inform me  that my rear left side brake light was not working. 

I was very much in my ANGRY phase and I surprised myself and everyone at the post office by replying, "Well if that's all you have to worry about in your day, be very, very glad you are not wearing my shoes".

I would never have responded in such a manner prior to BC.

Got back in my car and drove the 10 kms home and left the mail for another day!

Never did find out who she was.  I no longer have much tolerance for shallow people, however I have learnt to keep my thoughts to myself, my anger well contained and my mouth shut. Smile sweetly? Never.

• Milly21
    Milly21 Member Posts: 122
    Funny that was one of my sayings too,if that’s all your got to worry about your doing well,when people whining but now I try let go over my head and ignore,it is amazing the perspective going through cancer gives you and appreciation for life .
  • jintie
    jintie Member Posts: 114
    Good luck with your journey.  I am profoundly Deaf and legally blind.  Just finished chemo and rads and had bilateral mastectomy with DIEP two weeks ago.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Well done @chev . It's hard work and even harder if you already have a disability. Are you pleased with the results of your surgery?
  • Blossom1961

• Blossom1961
    So sad that we can relate to this.
  • jintie
    jintie Member Posts: 114
    @Zoffiel
    Only had my surgery 2.5 weeks ago.  I am still very swollen and hard to touch, so I am not sure of what to make of my foobs yet.  At the moment, I think they’re way too big (surgeon told me I’d be an A or B cup) but I still feel like I will be a D which I am disappointed about as I wanted to go smaller than what I was.
  • Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    I'm back. Have been hibernating for a while - in a state of suspended animation, sort of. Pretty crappy time. Thinking tonight of you Melbourne ladies while listening to the International Jazz Day concert live from Melbourne. Always thinking of the community on this forum, though. I feel guilty that I've not been here supporting those of you who are having a shite time; but I just needed to hunker down and let myself wallow for a bit.

When I gradually started to feel stronger and more motivated about five weeks after stopping Letrozole, I got a bit over-enthusiastic in the garden, moving some heavy pot plants (I USED to be able to do that!). Crushed my rib cartilage. Still struggling with torn Achilles, though I now have a My Aged Care package with a new podiatrist who is making it his mission to heal it, and it's gradually improving.

HUGE day tomorrow. After having my appointment rescheduled twice, I'll finally meet the (new) surgeon who will do my next surgery. I've been very stressed, trying to anticipate his response to my decision to not have changeover to implant, but to remove the expander and go flat (and if possible remove at least some of the titanium mesh). I just hope I don't have to wait too long to have it done.

xx Fran
  • Blossom1961
    @Flaneuse Never feel guilty for having time out. Although we would have supported you if you came on the forum, we understand the need to sometimes pull back. All the best for tomorrow. Huge hugs
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @chev if they feel swollen they are likely to shrink a bit once the newness of it all wears off and things settle down. 
    @Flaneuse a torn Achilles and crushed ribs? Ten years ago that would happen if we'd been drunk enough to get on a mechanical bull at a party. Doing that moving pot plants... Sheesh!