Recon experiences...

2»

Comments

• Eli86
    Eli86 Member Posts: 70
    Mic80, it is understandable your torn, everything I read and heard about DIEP indicated it would be a long and painful experience. While my surgery took 13.5 hours, thankfully my recovery has been incredibly easy. I keep comparing it to 6 weeks of expanders, with constant pain and discomfort, exacerbated by not being able to sleep on my side. I know this isn’t the norm for expanders, but it just highlights, like my DIEP, how everyone’s bodies respond differently to surgery. 
    You obviously had a skin saving mastectomy, which leaves your options open for the next step. If you go ahead with the left prophylactic (I did too) and that is also skin saving, there is absolutely no need to rush with a decision. You have the option of being boobless for as long as you want and see how that fits with you and then maybe decide about DIEP when you feel more able. Once your spare skin is tucked away, there is absolutely no time limit on DIEP. xx
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    For those who did delayed recon public - care to share your waiting period for surgery??