Letrozole Joint Pain & Exercise

I've been on Letrozole since August 2018 and have had a lot of joint pain and for the last few weeks, soft tissue issues with my knee as well (area of an old ligament injury).  I'm cautious about saying things are improving because I've been caught out before since starting the AI, but for the last week I've been doing some resistance exercises in front of the telly every second night (the weights are by the couch so inability to go and get them is no excuse).  I have noticed a slight improvement, particularly in my knees.  I'm just doing some of the weights exercises that the oncology rehab place I was attending last year during chemo, had me doing.  

Mostly, since starting Letrozole, exercise has helped but only until I sit down again.  This seems to be a bit longer lasting so, fingers crossed...maybe not...too painful...

I'm also trying to sign up for Encore again next term but may not get in if the number of newbies is too high.  If I can't, I've decided that I will run my own one woman aqua group one afternoon a week on the way home from work.  May even do that anyway if I can work out a time that I don't have to be dashing home for someone else's activity.

I'm ntending to check out an exercise class in a local town on Saturday (there! I've written it so I have to do it!) - I've explained that I have an aversion to gyms (their website alludes to people who love them) and they still think they can do something for me.

And it looks as though, after much going around in circles, an Adelaide Pinc & Steel physio will be running an SUP exercise programme at the end of the year and will contact me when it is more of a reality.  Yay!

But, whatever else happens, I'm determined to keep up the weights at night.

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    That sounds really positive @Sister. Onya!
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Nice work @Sister.  The weights must make a difference.  My mother joined a gym just before her 70th birthday.  She has suffered with osteoarthritis for some years now and has found a really good improvement in her movement since starting there.  She asked me for the dance movements to the nutbush the other week as the gym class was doing the nutbush for their facebook page!

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,520
    Well done @Sister   I need to do more ..... right now, I am trying to get my left thumb to bend again!  It is like a trigger finger - but instead of bending & locking, it just won't bend!   It is totally straight & will only bend if I force it with my right hand (hoping that will help free it up.) Then it locks!  This is only a recent development & is really annoying as it affects so many things re holding, picking up & general dexterity etc

Don't you love the Nutbush Dance, @kezmusc - everyone gets up & does 'a line dance to it' whenever anyone plays the song at uke festivals.  Well done to your Mum!
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    I do love the nutbush.  Can't say I've ever heard it on a uke but would like to.  :)
  • arpie
    Link Sent in a PM @kezmusc .... @Sister - if you'd like the link I can add it here - a great song & dance to 'move to'!!  

Great exercise & fun at the same time.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'm keeping it slow @arpie Trying to master Dido's "White Flag" at the moment - sounds really sweet on the uke and would be sweeter still if I played well. :)

UPDATE: I did go to the exercise class, yesterday.  It was a pilates floor class.  I hated it!  Some of the exercises made me feel dizzy - not sure what's going on there as that has never happened to me before.  And even though I tried to be so careful, I ended up feeling lousy and headachey for hours afterwards (courtesy of neck issues).  I have done pilates based exercises before and I've used the equipment in other programmes but this I did not like.

I will give their other programme a go sometime over the holidays but if it's no good, then I'll give that avenue away.
  • arpie
    Oh dear, that is a shame @Sister .  Sounds like that type of exercise may not suit you (not sure I'd be too fussed on it either.)  Bugger.  My sister tried Yoga  recently & ended up damaging her hip with one particular stretch - not sure if she is going back either.

Take care, enjoy your hols!  Have they started yet?  Take care xx
  • Sister
    Yep - 2 whole weeks!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Whoo hoo!
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Could you add the link please @arpie😊
  • arpie
    edited April 2019
    I hope you find it fun, @Doodoo  -  it never fails to get people up & dancing at Uke Gatherings !!   You can try & wifi it to the TV & dance along!!!   The first guy in the video was 'new to it' but as more & more joined in, you can follow the moves well!!  ;)   Enjoy    It is even funnier when people have had a few drinks!!  LOL

A great one for the kids & grand kids, too.  Some slick moves by the lady in red pants & the girls next to her!  You can make the kicks as energetic as you want to!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZENj9_lis0

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @arpie
    You and I can perform in the Smith Street Mall, Darwin in July. We might earn a dollar or two!
  • arpie

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @arpie
    That a hint. 
  • Sister
    edited April 2019
    I thought it was for me!  I think the playing is helping my fingers a bit though.  (Did you like that segue getting things back on track?)