Stress and Breast Cancer - new study

kmakm
kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
edited April 2019 in General discussion
Absolutely fascinating.

When I was diagnosed I asked my breast surgeon if stress had played a part. He said that the medical community believed that it did but that it hadn't been proven yet. In the three years prior to my diagnosis I experienced the worst stress of my life. The pull over to the side of the road thinking your having a heart attack kind of stress.

https://nbcf.org.au/news/new-study-shows-chronic-stress-may-fuel-cancer-growth/

Tagged:

Comments

• BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Having had 8 months of extreme stress before my mastectomy I was sure this contributed to my BC.  I will read the article with interest !
    Thanks a lot for providing the link.
    Anne
  • KarynJ
    KarynJ Member Posts: 193
    Thanks @kmakm That was very interesting.  I've been living with chronic stress most of my life.  I'm pretty sure it has contributed to an awful lot of my health problems.  I also get my cortisol levels tested on a regular basis.  They are super high - way above the normal range.  A sure indicator of constant stress and over production of adrenaline.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Interesting - first article I've read to support the possibility.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Yes. No surprises for me.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Interesting that beta blockers may reduce the risk of cancer spread. I'm on them for an arrythmia, not high blood pressure. At my yearly check today, my oncologist noted that my pulse was good, normal rate with only a slight blip. In fact he thought it could no longer be described as an arrythmia, almost a regular irregularity. That may of course may be a today thing, but certainly I have been tachycardia free for ages. So all hail the little beta blocker if it's doing that job and perhaps warding off the spread of any cancer cells too! 
  • kmakm
    @Afraser Sounds like an excellent appointment. Huzzah! K xox
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Thanks @kmakm. Interesting read
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Interesting, @kmakm  .... I don't recall any specific stress in the lead up to my diagnosis (other than having chronic multiple doses of colds/bronchitis/flu for some months prior, requiring antibiotics & even prednisone.)  

My stress all happened after the lump was found!! 

Mind you - back in 2010 when hubby was diagnosed with his cancer - I was under a HEAP of stress!

It will be interesting to read any follow up info tho.

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Rant warning,  I am in a somewhat less than amicable mood.

Geezus is there anything that doesn't cause or help this thing grow????? Another hormone that needs a drug to stop it.  Seriously with this many hormone manipulations going on we're all going to be a bunch of zombies eventually.

Quite honestly I have just had enough of this whole fucking thing.  I am sick to death of worrying. stressing, reading and trying to decipher all the conflicting information and "maybe" and "possibly" reports that you never hear any more about.

I am playing ostrich at the moment.  It took me three weeks to make the pelvic and internal u/sound for my newly acquired cysts and friends. I've had enough scans to last a life time and I just didn't want to go. I put off getting the bloods done as well, because I read they were checking for "tumour markers"  that's never been done before.  I was always told they weren't very reliable.  Well, hello, let's just check them for shits and giggles shall we? 

The registrar has left a message on my phone yesterday to call him back as he has the results. Of course I highly doubt that is a good sign considering I have a clinic appointment in a week where they could have given them to me if there were no issues.
      The involuntary shaking started and I dropped my phone as soon as I heard his voice. It just blows me a way how your body can take over all on its own. Some kind of newly acquired fear response I guess.  I am not a highly stressful or anxious person under normal circumstances, I never have been.  

Maybe it's nothing drastic and he was just following up??? Maybe.  

I haven't called back. I just don't want to know. FTS.  

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @kezmusc Sorry, As soon as I read your first statement I had to smile. My thought “someone else has had enough” Don’t forget to close your eyes when you stick your head in the sand lovely, I forgot once and it doesn’t work well. Lots of big hugs xxx
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Point noted @Blossom1961.

Shut eyes, open wine, do not stop till bottle is empty. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Remember @kezmusc your head is in the sand so you will need a long straw. 
  • Lynn65
    Lynn65 Member Posts: 46
    Hey @kezmusc hoping that the call back is just a routine thing.  Yeah, head in the sand becomes incredibly appealing at times. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Sand is an excellent filter - just pour the wine onto it.

On a more serious note @kezmusc, I completely understand your response.  It's so hard to make appointments for things to be checked.  Fingers crossed that everything is routine for you.
  • kmakm
    So sorry @kezmusc, and I apologise if this post was upsetting for you. Big hug, K xox