Recon experiences...

Mic80
Mic80 Member Posts: 46
Evening, I have been diagnosed with stage 2 invasive carcinoma, I had a right breast mastectomy on Tuesday 2/4 with expanders, with the intention of further surgery to remove left and undergo diep recon...
However I am now very strongly thinking I will still have left breast removed once all treatment is finished but then remain flat instead of the diep op... I know only I can decide what I do but I was wondering if anyone has remained flat and whether they have regretted it or not and Just generally what their experiences with it have been! ..Feeling lost! Xx

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Hi @Mic80 I am mono booked and I am okay with that. Once I hit the six month mark I am planning on a tattoo whilst the area is still a little numb. I have been thinking of ideas before I even had the mx. Good luck with your decision xxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I too am mono boobed and happy with it but @SoldierCrab may be able to tell you more about flat and fabulous. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Mono here, too but undecided about the future.  No rush.
  • TamraM
    TamraM Member Posts: 5
    Hi Mic80, I have so far chosen to remain flat following double mastectomy in Oct 2016. My choice was heavily influenced by the amount of time I would have to dedicate to surgery and recovery in order to have a recon.  As recon was not an option at the time of DM, by the time I was physically able to get a recon I was quite used to being flat, and don't mind it.  Of course I still miss my breasts - however that is a different issue to my choice to remain flat.  I am mostly very comfortable with my choice - there are positives [especially living in a hot climate], however getting used to dressing with no breasts [my choice is to not use any prosthetic breast forms] can be a rollercoaster.  I have found that the longer I remain flat - the more at ease I have become with my shape.  I love fashion - so finding new styles to suit my shape is sometimes tricky.  However it does get easier. A great thing to remember is that no choice needs to be forever.  Best wishes, Tamra
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @TamraM I think there are a few of us who underestimated the impact of reconstructive surgery and overestimated the chances of a successful outcome. If I knew, in 2006, what I know now, I'd never have considered getting implants. I can only be thankful that I couldn't be convinced to undergo what was, at the time, the 'gold standard' tram flap procedure that three surgeons I interviewed wanted to do. I scar heavily and that wasn't properly considered by anyone, including myself.

By the time the penny dropped and I realised (after having the implants replaced for the third time) that my body wasn't going to accept the intruders I had so much scarring under my pec muscles that removing them altogether was not recommended as I would be left with pockets of scar which could not be trusted to heal. Flat would have been a much better idea. Oh well, hind sight is wonderful, but you don't know what you don't know. It's a big decision and there are many factors that need to be considered, including past surgical results. Mxx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Only about 10% of women undergo reconstruction so most definetely many women have chosen the same.
    Even if you do go flat and feel later you would like a reconstruction, it can still be done..

Here is a link to a US site. I know we have an australian one that @SoldierCrab will give you details of when she pops in. 

https://www.flatandfabulous.org/

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited April 2019
    hi @Mic80 I am now flat and feeling great about it ... I had a double mx back in Oct 2012 and remained flat my choice due to many allergies and circumstances I am in then and now like @TamraM I enjoy the freedom of no foobs or any prosthetics.... 

Here is a group that I help admin on FACEBOOK  https://www.facebook.com/groups/bcnoffaaduaustralia/

We even have a group about what to wear that helps with our new shapes. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1191542117599230/

• Mic80
    Thank you everyone... god I love this forum xx
    @SoldierCrab thanks heaps.... I have sent a request to join both pages xxx
  • JennyD78
    JennyD78 Member Posts: 69
    @SoldierCrab I've requested access to your FB groups too. 
    I had a bilateral mastectomy in May 18 with no recon.  Scarring aside, I really like my new boobless figure.  I wore a dress the other day that was a little pouchy because of no boobs to fill it out but found I just didn't care.  My boobs were pretty enormous pre-surgery so while I was confident I was making the right decision at the time, I didn't know how I'd feel about it down the track.  Almost a year on now and I don't regret it for a moment!  I'm in the process of losing a lot of weight post gastric sleeve surgery but once I'm at a stable weight, I'll be tattooing my chest...something I'm really looking forward to :)
  • SoldierCrab
    Just accepted you into Group JennyD and Mic80 

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @SoldierCrab Me too!
  • SoldierCrab
    Accepted Blossom1961

• Mic80
    @Eli86 thank you so much  for sharing.... I am so torn as to what to do! I am just so afraid of the recovery and risk of complications with the diep but as you mentioned, I feel as far as long term mental health I think it would prob be quite beneficial.... sorry.. totally confused. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I had a double mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. I am very happy with it. My surgery took nine hours and I had low blood pressure problems afterwards which prevented me getting out of bed for several days. I turned out to be allergic to the tape, and then had lots of little wound infections for the first two months. It's almost a year since it was done and while it has been a big adjustment for me, I have zero regrets. It's lovely having my own warm flesh on my chest. K xox