SoldierCrab
SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
who is our Uke players please 

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    @Pink think your response maybe stronger if your response is rebadged Hormone Therapy and will ask moderators to help do this . @Giovanna_BCNA @Marianne_BCNA can you help locate this under a new heading eg Hormone Therapy so that members are more likely to see it ?
  • Romla
    PS @arpie is our uke player extraordinaire/virtuoso
  • Pink
    Pink Member Posts: 29
    Thank you
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Hi @SoldierCrab

yep, guilty as charged!  LOL.  I lead my local uke group and tomorrow will give 10 of our friends their first ever uke session ..... easy songs with either 1 or 2 chords!!

Have you got a song for me?   (I will be doing I am Woman with our group some time soon!  ;)

How can I help?
  • Romla
    @ arpie could the lyrics be tweaked a little to be about both genders ? I am human ??? Eg It’s a great anthem for anybody struggling in life even though it’s origin lies in the women’s movement. 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Arpie my friend posted on facebook this morning..... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10217117764362697&id=1426804155   these few video photos wondering if you can see it....
  • arpie
    Absolutely, any song can be tweaked, @Romla.  We’ve done that to a number of songs already, either making them into a ‘uke’ song (we did that to Delilah to remove the domestic violence content) and turned others into Forster songs (This Land is Your Land now has heaps of local content in it now...)

@SoldierCrab ... that is drop dead GORGEOUS!   I was hoping to see the uke player doing a duet with him!  What a fantastic idea ..... get anyone with any instruments jamming in the beach!   I LOVE IT!!
  • arpie
    There are so many ukes out there @kmakm - those look like they have really been 'tarted' up that would have added to their cost!!  They are gorgeous!

None of mine look that swish!!

• arpie
    Woohoo!  Well done, @Blossom1961 Good on you for giving it a go!  Whilst it is one of the 'easiest instruments' to learn (4 strings, 4 fingers!) as you progress to the harder chords, it CAN be a bit challenging -  just go slowly at the start and concentrate on the pressure on the strings, so that each note sounds 'crisp'!  If they sound like a 'thud' or 'dull' - you may need to use a tad more pressure.

Initially, just Play the 'C' chord whenever you see it on the song sheet.  You can 'tap the uke' whilst waiting for the next 'C' chord to appear ......then as you are more comfy, add the other chords as you learn them.  

See if there is a beginners group  you can start off with initially (within the group) -  but then again, if you love one particular song - just give it a go!! I pretty well started off with Iz's Somewhere/Wonderful World!! (A tricky one!)  It forced me to learn the more difficult chords tho!  ;)  

Start off with C, Am, F & G7 ..... check out my Beginners Tips below - on the last 2-3 pages, I describe 'how to' change from one chord to the other  in the most efficient & easy way!!  Page 4, 4th one down is the C, Am, F & G7 sequence ..... all the 'Doo Wop' songs & a heap of rock & roll songs use this set of chords.  

Keep your left hand fingernails SHORT and it makes forming the chords much easier.  Don't worry too much about the strumming - just doing 'down stroke' in time with the music is good enough.  Fancier strumming comes with practise & confidence.   You are reading, singing, strumming & listening all at the same time & it can be tricky initially!

DON'T GIVE UP!!  How long have you got the uke for?

Let me know if you want a particular song - I have thousands saved to my computer!  I'll find an easy one for you!   :)  Have FUN!! 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Thanks @arpie I have the uke for as long as I want. My BIL has three of them but plays the guitar which he has about five of. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    She did it to me, too!  But it is fun and it does get the memory exercised a bit (try Vance Joy's Riptide - Am, G, C)
  • arpie
    edited May 2019
    Oh dear - it DOES become a bit addictive - and each use sounds totally different depending on the types of wood used etc.  

Including 3-4 'student ukes' (so they can try different brands and sizes) I have about 12!!  They call it Uke Acquisition Syndrome (UAS for short!)

GO @Sister - did I give you the Beginners Tips too?  If not, check 'em out!!  @kezmusc too!