Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Second brain tumour in 5 months

DebbieMc
DebbieMc Member Posts: 42
edited March 2019 in Metastatic breast cancer
I was coming up to 5yrs clear & booked a trip to the UK on 3rd December, then was diagnosed on 11 October with a brain tumour. Had it removed & was paralysed on the left side but spent 6 weeks in hospital and rehab working hard & made my trip just in time (albeit with a broken rib I didn't know about). I had a full body scan in January & was told there was no cancer in my body but after an MRI this month I now have another tumour on the other side of the brain, much smaller & on the surface. Has anyone else experienced this & can I expect to have these tumours constantly popping up or have people just had a one off & nothing else for years. I see my surgeon next week but in turmoil that this could happen again so quickly. I live alone but have lots of supportive friends but my depression has hit another all time low, am I doomed or could this be a one off?
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear that. What shithouse thing to have to deal with. I'm not in your situation--are either your oncologist or surgeon or what ever other 'ist' is involved able to give you more information? Living alone is fantastic ( I do too) but it can add another level of complexity when you are not well and it is not at all surprising you are depressed.

If you don't already have one on your team, do you think seeing a counselor of some sort may be useful? They can't make the problems go away but can be good garbage bins to dump all sorts of stuff in and, occasionally, they can come up with helpful hints to manage stress and anxiety. You will qualify for some subsided visits to a mental health professional, though your location can dictate your options and the out of pocket costs. Ask you GP or breast care nurse about getting a referral. Even getting to see someone who doesn't suit can be therapeutic--I've trailed a couple who have made me feel positively sane, in comparison..., Mxx
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Hi @DebbieMc please dont hesitate to contact the BCNA Helpline on 1800 500 258 also to speak with a cancer nurse to link you in with information and support available to you.
  • DebbieMc
    Thanks Zoffiel, I am seeing my Surgeon next Tuesday so I'll see what he advises me to do. I have options to let it grow bigger so I can be treated locally, have it operated on in the City or have Radiation in the City. I have a breast cancer support group I go to & I had just seen the Breast Cancer Nurse last week who is putting me through a regime of exercise for cancer patients, counselling for depression & possibly referred to a psychologist, nutritionist & attend the group sessions. I missed the first one as one lady I friended died while I was in the UK & I knew they'd talk about her & the next one I missed as I was having the MRI.
    Unfortunately I'm not living alone by choice, I lost my 2 little boys at 7yrs & 11yrs to juvenile Huntington's Disease which we'd never heard of even though we went to counselling before starting a family. Then 4 yrs ago my husband died of Huntington's Disease (the normal adult one) in palliative care. We did have a dog but while I was having the last tumour out her heart condition blew out of proportion & my girlfriend had to take her to the Vet to be put down while I was sedated overnight & the following day. I had cancer but didn't know it when my 11yr old died and was just recovering from chemo, radiation when my husband died but thought that would be the end of cancer. I have a little foster dog from a puppy farm with me now as company but I'm keeping her if all goes well with this bloody tumour. Looking back at what I've written it seems I lose someone every time I get cancer.  :s
    I'm still walking with a crutch for security & if they want to operate what happens if another shows up, then another? A full body scan in January gave me the all clear so now I'm worried these scans I'll be having 3 monthly might not be as accurate as I'd hoped.
    Your advice is spot on though, I wish I had a glass bowl that could tell me my future so I could make the decision confidently. I'm very lucky to have such supportive friends though who saw me through the last operation & rehab & are already working out who is going to take me where when needed. Thank you for your help. xoxoxoxoxo

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Oh Debbie, you've known such terrible loss. My heart goes out to you. I'm glad you've got wonderful friends. And a pup. I'll keep everything crossed for you. Big hug, K xox
  • DebbieMc
    Thanks so much @kmakm , I am blessed especially when I've known most of these friends for decades (makes me sound like an oldie :)
  • kmakm
    edited March 2019
    Not at all! I have friends from every decade of my life. We are rich in one of the most important things in life. I'm in my fifties; you?
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    edited March 2019
    @DebbieMc your story takes my breathe away !! Can't help out with advice but I can sure send you massive hugs .
    So glad your friends are there for you .F**k cancer !
    Wishing you all the best xxx<3

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Gosh @DebbieMc  - you have really been put thru the ringer with your diagnoses & treatment & losses of family & fur buddies .....

Well done on getting out there & enjoying your Rock Chick status!!   I am in a bit of a 'time warp' as well - 
      LOVING music up to & including the 80s/90s  ( I am 66)..... there's not much 'modern stuff' that I can be bothered with.  

Like you - I was shy & retiring as a 'youngie' - but now - I lead our local Ukulele Group & act a real 'fool' in front of our audiences  to bring joy to others!!  (We have 4 gigs next Mon/Tues at Old folks homes & another one on Wed) before starting a new set of songs for our next gigs in May!!

Keep acting disgracefully & keep 'em guessing ..... I have a buddy with 'F**k Cancer' tattooed on his shoulder ...... 

Take care & big hugs coming your way  xxxxx
  • kmakm
    Well Debbie I'd call you a groupie!!  ;)B):pensive:

Keep it up, I say grow old disgracefully! K xox

PS Which band?!
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I’m sorry I took so long in responding Debbie. I used to be a hard nut but BC has turned me into a softy and your story had me in tears. I know we cope because we have no choice but I am still sending you the biggest snuggle hug. I cannot answer your original question and I guess only your onco or surgeon can, but ultimately, everybody is different. I love the fact you are out there rockin it. xxxxx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Well that's no fun Debbie. If it was me I would be wanting the tumor out while its small. I think my chemo I had and the hormone pills messed with some of my cells and now I am just quirky in that a tiny injury can develop into a whole tumor with no good reason. Fortunately I haven't had anything in the brain though.
    If you are living alone I am wondering is your diet right? You can do a lot diet wise to help stop cancer returning. Cruciferous vegetables, turmeric and some herbal teas can all help keep your body in tip top health. 
  • Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,193
    Debbie, it's stories like yours that have me floundering for words, so many cruel losses and uncertainty have been thrown your way. I can only send you my very best wishes for the best possible outcome for you. It sounds as though you have some great friends and people around you so hopefully that will make things a little easier for you xxxx 
  • DebbieMc
    @kmakm Haha while my mother thought it was totally innapropriate everyone else started calling me a groupie, the band is Slade. You might remember them from the glam & glitter days, two of the originals who started it are still in it & I had a ball chatting & spending time with them (in an appropriate manner of course).
    I really hope the surgeon tells me what I need to have done rather than give a choice, hopefully he's familiar with these types of tumours and can reassure me that they are more like cysts rather than cancer & completely safe.
    Wishing all the best to others going through cancer treatment at the moment, it's a horrid disease because it's unknown & every case is different. xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    All the best with your appointment, @DebbieMc  - we'll be thinking of you xx