IVF hormone positive

youngdogmum
youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
Hi guys.
2 days post mastectomy and axillary clearance and I’m doing very well! Discharged this morning.

If you had oestrogen/progesterone +ve cancer and you underwent IVF to freeze eggs/embryos before chemo id like to know:
did you take a receptor blocker ie tamoxifen/letrozole/zoladex with the stimulants to prevent a significant surge in oestrogen?

Thank you <3

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Hi!  Perhaps go to the Young Women group and post in there 
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women

Hopefully a wider range of people to read and support your question

Trust you are feeling okay considering what you've just experienced

Take care
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    @InkPetal you might have info about this.

I believe femera or letrozole is commonly used as it doesn't prevrnt ovulation but helps block it's use elsewhere.
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    Thanks for the tag-in Prim.

Hello @youngdogmum
    Yes! I was placed on Letrozole. In my consultation with the service I felt it was a very understood and established practice for breast cancer patients through the IVF process. Do you have some concerns? Ask anything at all.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Well done @youngdogmum! Two days is great. Look after yourself. K xoc
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250

InkPetal said:

Thanks for the tag-in Prim.

Hello @youngdogmum
    Yes! I was placed on Letrozole. In my consultation with the service I felt it was a very understood and established practice for breast cancer patients through the IVF process. Do you have some concerns? Ask anything at all.

Hi InkPetal thanks for sharing your experience.
    My IVF dr doesn’t feel it’s necessary. I am going to ask to see him Monday to establish why. The more I read the more I see it’s a common occurrence. I may ask for a new referral if he doesn’t allow
    me to start IVF with letrozole.
    Im not sure if it’s because he’s controlling my cycle, as he’s already given me a shot of zoladex.
    Thank you again :)
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I don't know about IVF on AIs as I did it years ago pre-BC but good luck with it @youngdogmum.  
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Your generosity in sharing some of this experience is amazing. Even as someone well past childbearing age at diagnosis 4 years ago, I found this information interesting.
    Here's hoping the egg harvest goes well.
    Take care
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Very best wishes! 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I know the emotional and physical effects of IVF but never had to do it while on the rollercoaster of bc.  You've done the best you can @youngdogmum.  Now you can park it and move on with the more immediate concerns.  Best wishes and take care.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @youngdogmum Big hugs as you move forward
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Thank you for writing the details here. It's very generous of you and I'm sure it will help those who come after you. Good luck with your treatment. K xox
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    @youngdogmum I so admire you for your generosity in sharing your details about such an intimate part of your life. I'm sure there will be other young women who will find this information very helpful in theirs too. I wish you all of the very best of my best wishes as you forge ahead with what lies before you now and am sending you a big cyber (((hug))). Ally.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Well done, @youngdogmum  -  all the best xx