Penny001 Member Posts: 19
edited March 2019 in Newly diagnosed
one more day until treatment starts and im not coping very well please help
Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Hi @Penny001
    It's normal to feel worried/scared/ beside yourself. What treatment are you starting? 
    Often it is fear of the unknown,  before starting.
    Sending hugs ((((()))))
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Sorry to hear that, @Penny001  - lots of deep breaths, take each day as it comes.   Try not to 'over predict' your outcome/side effects ..... we are here to help you get thru this xxxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Penny I just had a drink with someone who worked all the way through six months of chemotherapy. She had a couple of days off towards the end because she felt really tired.

Not everyone collapses in a heap. Most of us have some side effects, but almost all of them are highly manageable. It's grotty rather than ghastly. As @lrb_03 said, it's the fear of the unknown that's doing your head in. This time tomorrow you'll feel a lot better.

Take some deep breaths to calm your nervous system. In for four seconds, hold for four seconds, out for six seconds.

Hang in there, K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited March 2019
    Of course you're anxious.  We all have been.  But do try to take some deep breaths and find something if you can, to distract yourself.  I joked to my surgeon before the op that the hospital kept the balcony doors locked so we couldn't escape (only half joking) and he held my hand to calm me down as the anaesthetic was put in the other arm.  Before chemo, I was nearly in tears.  But I got through it (I'm a wuss) and so will you.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    This a waiting game until you actually have to do it. Today.
    It's horrible, but there is only one way out, you have to take that first giant step and transition from the theory to the practice. Without starting you can't finish.
    Many of us have been where you are, and I can only say that once you have committed to getting in the chair, youve' done the toughest part from the emotional perspective. The emotional can be tougher than the physical. Hang in there and we will help if we can. Mxxx

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    I told my oncologist on the morning of my first chemo I wasn’t going through with it because I had read too many bad things could happen and in the end I worked through six months of it with only 2 days off. It is very normal to be frightened but you will have good support from the nurses & you may not experience many side affects. Once the first one is done you will know what to expect & won’t find it so daunting. Let us know how it goes xx
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Hello @Penny001 it can be daunting facing the first chemotherapy  and as the ladies have mentioned there is much support to ensure you will get through this time.Please don't hesitate to ring the BCNA Helpline on 1800 500 258 (mon-fri) to speak to a cancer nurse about any concerns you have.