Controlling risk of infection on treatment

Penny001
Penny001 Member Posts: 19
Hi again,
My husband is going crazy cleaning everything and insisting that my dogs sleep outside ect before i start my treatment, what are everyones thoughts on the animals and how did you all avoid infection.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It’s lovely that your husband is concerned! Many people have had little or no infection during treatment, so just take normal precautions. Main thing is usually high temperatures, treat them seriously and get treatment. It’s often sensible to keep at a distance, if possible, from people you know have easily transmitted ailments such as flu or even bad colds, but to be honest I didn’t find I got things any more easily. I had animals (dog and cats), all in the house - again, normal precautions, washing hands, etc. I got a couple of infections but they were caused by a persistent seroma and the germs that caused them were internal and were all my own!! Best wishes. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi Penny. I live with two dogs and four children, had chemo and didn't get sick once. I don't think you have to worry about the animals. As @Afraser says, usual precautions should be sufficient. Don't let them lick you if you've got an open wound, scratch or somesuch.

I was careful with handwashing, keeping my hands away from my face, especially after being out and about. Friends who were sick weren't allowed in the house! But the pets were fine. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited March 2019
    I lived as normal with kids and a cat during chemo.  A bit more attention to hygiene when out - if I had to use public loos, I had disinfectant wipes in my bag...that sort of thing.

The thermometers we had from when the kids were small were not particularly accurate anymore so we bought a good ear thermometer online so that I could easily track my temperature.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    It's not really a bacterial infection from dogs you need to worry about its the viral ones which can get to pneumonia quickly.
    I did shave the whiskers off my Schnauzers so I didn't have to worry about dirty beards but they still stayed inside the house.
    Visitors had to suck on an antibacterial Strepsils lozenge and if I went out in particular for that first blood test after the first chemo, I sucked a lozenge and wore a face mask. That proved a good move as my disease resistance in the blood test came out at zero. Not 2% or 4% but zero. Thereafter I was given an injection to help out after each round of chemo.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    I also had my 2 schnauzers in the house, one sleeps in our room. I worked 3 days a week in a doctors clinic & never got sick once during my six months of chemo. I used a sanitizer at work & didn’t kiss anyone. I didn’t use public transport but still did normal things like shopping & going to gym. 
  • Penny001
    you guys sound amazing, will i be ok, how do i stay strong
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    @Penny001, you need patience, determination & a lot of self care and you will get through it. It seems never ending in the beginning but then it is done. Take one day at a time & accept any help people offer.  When you feel well do things that make you happy & other days rest. Take care xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I was told most of our risks come from our own bacterial stuff than outside risks.
    I had my animals with me during chemo...I spent a lot of time lying down and it wasnt unusual to wake up with 3 cats surrounding me and a dog at my feet. To be honest their presence really helped me cope.
    I was fastidious about toilets. ..especially when out...just wipe  the seat etc....mostly when we travelled on roadside loos. 
    Really I just was more cautious in my low neutropenic time..always wiped down the shopping trolley and just carried hand bacterial gel with me in case no soap. Never got sick once.

I tended to not kiss people when at gatherings especially if people had colds etc. Havibg said that flu went through my household twice...and I never got it. I wondered if the chemo killed the virus. 
    Kath x
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I work at vet clinic and worked through chemo. Everyone around me get sick at work and I was fine. I just avoided doing certain risky things like handling cranky cats but apart from that I just carried on as per normal. 
  • Penny001
    really,that makes me feel better that i can have my babies around
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Avoid waiting rooms during chemo if you can, particularly if you need to go to your GP or anywhere there are likely to be, or have been, people with bugs you don't want to catch. I trained all the medical receptionists I had to deal with to give me a call immediately before the doctor could see me and I'd wait outside or in the car (probably not the most hygienic place on earth either) I met a bit of resistance from what I describe as Door Bitches but in the end they came around to my point of view. 
    It's all a bit of a lottery, just be as sensible as you can and don't let anyone or anything slobber on you. Mxx
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    I have 3 dogs, 20 to 30 horses depending on the day, 5 teenagers at home at that time, my house is always full of cowboys, work in a public hospital (lot's of handwashing and phone wiping down)  refused the neulasta injection after the first one and never got sick once.
     I didn't really do much different, I did do the trolley wiping down thing and avoided handrails in shops and the hospital but that's about it. Actually I think I kind of forgot about the whole thing half way through chemo :smile:
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Yep  @Penny001 doctors surgeries are the worst places.  I always wore a mask and they would always take me to an empty room to wait.   Bacterial Hand Gel was my best friend.  I avoided supermarkets for the first 2 weeks of chemo then on my last week before my next chemo I always made a point of going out with a friend for coffee.    No sick friends or family were allowed through the door at home though but generally people are pretty good and understand.  I had the pets around the whole time I couldn't have not had them around they always made me feel better. xo
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I tended to avoid crowds (don't like them, anyway) due to possibility of colds, etc.  But I went swimming at an indoor pool with my onc's blessing.  Did the same as @zoffiel regarding GP waiting room on the GPs advice - it did confuse a couple of the receptionists though.