Night Howls

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @Kiwi Angel that sucks. A little trick if you are still at the point you feel like you are peeing razor blades, next time you need to go  take a jug of warm salty water with you and irrigate your bits as you are weeing. It helps, though you have to wonder how our lives come to this mxx
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Thanks everyone for thinking of me. Feels so much better after the fist day on antibiotics. I have now added cranberry tablets to my morning tablets regime. @Sister I had what I now realise was probably kidney pain on Monday but I thought I was just getting flu. @Zoffiel it would be pure golf if hubby came in and caught me doing that - he would just be like WTF?? (but I sure would try it if needed). @Romla ow!!!!!
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    How are you @Kiwi Angel - geez it never rains but it pours. 

Anyone had neuropathy - go for a couple of months and then reappear? I swear my left foot has reverted back to neuropathic pain - bloody hell this sucks!

I am experimenting with taking Tamoxifen in the mornings now - I think it is better sleep wise, but early days yet.

I have booked in to see my ONC this Friday. She'd better not kick me out after 15 minutes - I have a plethora of questions. about Tamoxifen. Hoping I get some answers for a change!
  • JJ70
    JJ70 Member Posts: 983
    I just don't get on here as much as I'd like to anymore gals - just know that I think of you often.

It is 8pm and I have two hours of maths review to do before Day two of my PD course tomorrow - it's interesting stuff - I'm just tired. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @JJ70 feeling much better after the first dose of antibiotics but the doc rang yesterday and said the infection is actually resistant to that antibiotic. As long as I feel clinically well though she just wants another sample. 

I haven’t had neuropathy reappear. I just feel like my muscles are getting weaker and I am in the full clutches of middle age spread!  Was going to go for a run this morning but it was pouring with bloody rain!!

im the same - I don’t get on here much now - with being back to work and the long hours I don’t get too much of s chance to contribute but always have u all on my mind and in my heart xoxo
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    That's a bugger, @Kiwi Angel ...  . I hope it gets sorted soon.  Take care, thinking of you xx

All the best with your Onc appt, @JJ70 - make sure you write your questions down - take 2 copies - one for the Onc as well!!  

Breast screen NSW seems to indicate now that you need to see a GP (for a referral?) before being able to get a mammogram at age 40+!!  (Message sent)

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @JJ70 I've not had neuropathy come back. I turned into pain when I was on Letrozole. Now it's just arthritic pain - that's worse since I stopped Letrozole.
    All the best for your PD course.
  • Annski
    Annski Member Posts: 112
    Hullo @Kiwi Angel (and others with UTI bladder issues): I have had frequent horrible UTIs ever since my hysterectomy and subsequent further prolapse repair surgery but never as badly as since I went on Femara. One of the GPs I saw said it was common with AIs because without oestrogen the tissues in the bladder/urethra/pelvic floor all dry out. He recommended using small amounts of oestrogen creme occasionally. Since I am taking Femara to get rid of oestrogen it didn't make a lot of sense but apparently there is no evidence that the small amounts entering from the tissues are significant enough to be a concern. Well I just don't beiieve it, so I bought some but didn't use it - that's my version of following the doctor's advice.

The best idea for managing this stuff came from another GP who was a locum, he said in India (where he was from) these infections are common and the best thing is to drink lots and lots of water as soon as the first symptoms appear and use something like Ural (or even good old Enos Fruit Salts). This washes the e. coli or other organisms out of the bladder. Drinking alcohol is definitely out as it is a dehydrator, as is ordinary tea. So, at first signs, I drink large amounts of water and have only peppermint tea and take several doses of Ural. Seems to be working, haven't had to go on antibiotics for several months now. Many e. coli bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics and if you have them chronically living in you each dose of normal antibiotics makes them more resistant.

However there are also bacteria which I had a dreadful go-around with, known as pseudomonas, these are resistant to ordinary antibiotics, you can get them from inhaling from soil especially while gardening although they are also very common in hospitals.  It was absolute agony and lasted two weeks until the local GP put me on a special antibiotic which he had to ring up for authorisation to use. It fixed me in two days, like a miracle. Depending on your relations with your GP, you could ask what specific type of bacterium was found in your sample. But many doctors don't want to tell you and many others are not up to date with the treatment issues now emerging. Best thing is to try the water/Ural treatment first off as soon as you get any symptoms. Good luck and I hope you are feeling much better now. A.

• arpie
    Well done @JJ70  -  with 20% being diagnosed in their 40s (and prior - Jane McGrath and Belinda Emmett being 2 who were in their 30s and 20s when diagnosed ...)  It is a no brainer for those in their 40s to take up the offer of a free screening.

• arpie
    We are about to get THUMPED in the next hour or so!!   I have a bunch of kayak fishing friends at the local camp ground in tents for our annual 'Social' ..... I hope they've tightened there ropes & checked the angle of the Roof/Awnings!

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Can you send just a little bit our way?
  • arpie
    Wish I could!!   I can hear the thunder now & been watching the lightening for a while.  We don't mind a 'bit' but this could be serious.
  • arpie
    edited March 2019
    grrrr At 1am this morning & I am awoken to hear a horrible scratching noise coming from what appears to be in the roof immediately above the bed!! Our bedroom is at the rear corner of the house - so in the 'shallowest part of the roof cavity.  I immediately thought - BLOODY POSSUM!!  I woke Hubby up & we grabbed a ladder & I went up into the roof cavity (well I stuck my upper torso in!) and shone a really strong torch all around the roof cavity - but couldn't see a thing.   Perhaps it was trying to get in from the outside?  We'll check the edges today for any possible 'entry spots'!  

It took forever to get back to sleep again after that ..... I ended up taking a temase at about 2am & eventually I must have nodded off!!

And we only got a spit & whistle last night with the rain - lots more thunder & lightening than rain, tho to start off with, it WAS very heavy.  I hope my buddies in tents survived the night OK.

BTW - anyone who didn't see the SBS Documentary on Ruth B Ginsberg (Supreme Court Judge in the USA) - make sure you watch it on preview/catchup - it is just an amazing story of a quiet, small woman who achieved so much (particularly in Women's Rights) who I was totally not aware of!!  She is also known as RBG & is quite an Icon in USA.
  • arpie
    Sorry - it was on ABC, not SBS