Newly Diagnosed and overwhelmed

Penny001
Penny001 Member Posts: 19
edited March 2019 in General discussion
I have my treatment plan in place and im full of anxiety over it, i no so far its contained and it hasnt spread to organs, going for bone scan this week, mri and to have a clip put in.  Petrified of Chemotherapy and how it will effect me. If anyone could calm my nerves i would love to chat

Comments

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Penny001,

Welcome to the forum sweets.  Such a supportive place to be and always some great advice and warmth here.  Chemo scares the heck out of everyone.  It's the big bad boogeyman of the ride.  The initial oncology appointment I found the hardest of the lot apart from the diagnosis and really lost the plot.  

Luckily, for the most part it's probably not going to be as disgustingly horrid as our brains like to conjur up. Depending on what regime you are having there will be a lot of people on here that have had the same cocktail to provide helpful hints and support.

The hardest part is nobody can tell you how you are going to react.  Some people get through not to badly at all and there are a lot of drugs these days to counteract the side effects.

I had the ever popular ACT so 4 x 3 weekly AC and 12 x weekly taxol.  While the AC was no walk in the park I was still able to work, run my farm, ride my horse, do the shopping and renovate my living room. I kept my hair with the cold cap  and had a lot of fun times along the way.  Some days were shit but there were a lot that weren't.

Keep talking to us lovely, we've been there and understand the fear, confusion and emotional ups and downs.

xoxoxox

• Penny001
    thanks for replying i wasnt sure if anyone would.  I feel alone at the moment i no everything im feeling is a normal part of the process. im usually someone who is very in control of everything so its challenging, i hope i get through this ok
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    I am sure there will be more people along shortly.  You will get through it and we will help you every step of the way if you need it.  Even when you know it's normal it doesn't make it any easier I know. 
    It will be ok. Promise.
    xoxox
  • Penny001
    Thanks Ally
    the unknown is scarey and i have heard it referred to before as pregnancy in how to deal with it how we all handle it differenlty. the fear i have is the worst ive ever fealt in my life and im struggling alot with it.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Perhaps try the helpline as they may be able to give you some guidance and or point you in the right direction

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/bcna-helpline/
  • Penny001
    yes thank you, i have been in touch with a lovely breast care nurse she has been wonderful over the last few days
  • iserbrown
    Excellent!  Yes it's a little overwhelming but as you get into it you will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We are all out here supporting as most of us have been through the same. 

Take care and best wishes
  • Penny001
    i cant wait for that light to appear as to now it all seems like a dark cloud
  • iserbrown
    I'm not sure if you have mentioned previously the type you have been diagnosed with but here is another link that will help

https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/types-of-breast-cancer/

The dark cloud will soon become a light 
  • iserbrown
  • Penny001
    Great thank you i wasnt aware of that

• Sazbe
    Sazbe Member Posts: 19
    @Penny001 sending hugs. Can't offer advice on chemo yet as it sounds like we will be going through it together :)

You have found a great group of people to support you through it here. Sometimes in life its just about taking things one day or even 1 hour at a time. 6 months sounds like a long time but in reality it goes so fast ( my youngest just started school, where did that time go?) this too will pass.
  • Penny001
    Thank you @Sazbe do you no when your starting you treatment
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    It's good to have information from people who've gone through chemo and good to know someone who's going through it at the same time. 

As has been said, we're a diverse lot and we have different experiences of chemo.  Some sail through, some have it very hard, but most of us fall somewhere in the middle.  It's not a pleasant experience but it is doable.  If you're a person who insists on being minimalist with medication, suspend your beliefs for the time - take what you're given and ask for more effective drugs if you need them.  The first treatment is the hardest as you don't know what to expect.  Don't suffer in silence if the meds aren't working - in fact, make sure you have a number to ring if they're not.  Saying that, the stuff you're sent home with might be all you need.  Ask your clinic about oncology exercise programmes in your area, or the lovely people here might know of one, but you'll probably need your onc's signature to access something.  It really does help you to get through things and apparently helps the chemo work better, too.  @sazbe there's one at Walkverville specifically for breast cancer patients that runs through Calvary Hospital - they're really nice there.  I think there may be one at the RAH, as well.