Food for thought

A neighbor has seen me walking and asked if she could join me in the mornings and as she is very nice person I agreed.

Mary is a beautiful slim blonde who looks about 50 and is in fact 70.She runs a sheep farm  in the country with her husband and an Airbnb near where I live in the Hills.She also has MS and has had it since she was 35.

I went around to arrange our walking and found her mowing the lawn .She is an avid gardener and was preparing for more guests at her Airbnb.I thought we might do my walk which is on main roads for safety and has sealed footpaths.However Mary had other thoughts - one of which I admit to being worried about as is very steep - I was not sure I was fit enough.

The next day we met and did the other walk in an isolated area down unsealed paths that were steep and with tree roots protruding as well as walking over the rail tracks.We walked 5 km chatting happily - she with her 4 wheeled walker that she had to lift periodically over things.She never faltered or complained.

Mary is a remarkable lady and very determined . She walks every day as well as doing other exercise to help with mobility.She also has balance issues.She can only do exercise in the morning as fatigue is a major problem.She told me she was very angry when diagnosed but has moved past that now.

During our conversation I learned she was off overseas for a month later by herself - her husband being unable to leave their farm. She is a self starter out there enjoying her life despite her limitations.

PS She also hosts our local pre Christmas drinks every year.

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    What a woman!!  Well done, Mary - an amazing 'get on with it' attitude!!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Btw Mary’s garden is around 2 acres of intensive ornamentals.Yes she is quite a human being.