After Life - Netflix series by Ricky Gervais - triggering

KarynJ
KarynJ Member Posts: 193
I've just watched the new series by Ricky Gervais on Netflix and wanted to warn everyone that it could be very triggering.  He is a widower whose wife has recently passed from bc.  She was 46 years old.  He is struggling to cope and has very suicidal thoughts and actions.

It's very well done and probably the best series that Ricky has made but just take care if you decide to watch it.

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @KarynJ Thank you for the warning. I don’t watch television but most people do so this info is important.
  • KarynJ
    @Blossom1961 You're welcome.  I've seen a lot of adverts and promotion for the series and just wanted to give everyone a heads up on the content.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Thanks for letting us know. I have actually added that to my list. 
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    @KarynJ, my husband watched the whole series in one go & said it was brilliant. 
  • KarynJ
    @Glemmis I watched all 6 episodes in one session too. It really was beautifully done but such a heart wrenching topic. And some scenes incredibly raw.
  • KarynJ
    @Kiwi Angel just make sure you're in a strong state of mind and prepared for some overwhelming emotion.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Another one on Netflix is the Aussie show Glitch. People come back from the dead and one is a woman that died from breast cancer  
  • KarynJ
    Also wanted to mention there is a LOT of swearing. The f bomb and c bomb are heard throughout every episode. 

There are also scenes of graphic drug use. 

Definitely an adults only program.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Just finished watching it. I thought it was superb. It was impressive and meaningful to see a show that discussed such a profound topic in a secular way. Beautifully written and acted, deeply humanist. Sentimental but not soppy. Loved it.
  • Kiwi Angel
    I just started watching this - love his say whatever he wants mentality - I do it to a certain degree but wish I could be like him. 
  • KarynJ
    @Kiwi Angel he really just lets fly, doesn't he? I don't think I'd have a job for very long if I did that lol
  • Kiwi Angel
    @KarynJ I had to have a talk with my boss last night - if I had spoken to her like he does I definitely would of lost my job. 
  • KarynJ
    @Kiwi Angel  :o sounds like it could have been a "career limiting" discussion!