'Together Towards Tomorrow Adelaide Survivorship Conference 27 & 28 July 2019 registrations open

Giovanna_BCNA
Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839

Adelaide Conference, Adelaide Convention Centre

BCNA has changed the date to the last weekend of July 27th & 28th so we can take advantage of the attendance of Health Professionals at the Breast Cancer Trials Scientific Conference which is being held 24-26 July in Adelaide. We are planning to run a series of workshops over the weekend and
a special event on Saturday evening. At BCNA we strive to bring you information
that is up to date and relevant.  Therefore, we would love to hear from
you to understand what is important so that we can deliver a program that is
packed with the information and supports you need.

Register
here

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Sounds brilliant @Giovanna_BCNA Will put my thinking cap on (and mark my calendar)!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
  • Romla
    Oh no - I’m in Cairns for a month during that time.Please can papers be available or audio ?
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Lucky you @romla.
  • Romla
    Last big family holiday @Sister helped by unbelievably cheap airfares
  • MvB
    MvB Member Posts: 35
    Thanks @Giovanna_BCNA for the heads up on this and the request for input.  Just want to build on and support the amazing list from @Sister which I've copied below...my comments in brackets & capitals.  I am not shouting...just looks like it! :wink:
    • We hear a lot about new treatments that are on the horizon in the media, but what is really emerging as possible bc treatments, in particular for recurrences and Stage 4 treatment. (YES!  WE HEAR THAT BC IS NOW BETTER UNDERSTOOD AS A "CHRONIC DISEASE"...REALLY?  LET'S TEST THAT!  WHAT ABOUT IMMUNOTHERAPY?https://www.cancerresearch.org/immunotherapy/cancer-types/breast-cancer )
    • Current knowledge about BC sub-types and treatment. (YES PLEASE.  MUCH CONFUSION ABOUT LUMINAL A  & B, KI-67, ETC AND MEASURES OF "SUCCESS" - 5, 10, 20 YR - .SURVIVAL OR DISEASE FREE)
    • Lymphoedema and cording - best practice treatment and management (I've read about new mapping techniques for lymphoedema) (YES)
    • Sexual health (YES.  WHAT DO BC TREATMENTS CAUSE THAT MAY HAVE BEEN EXPECTED ANYWAY WITH MENOPAUSE?)
    • Adjusting to the new normal (limits on activity, memory loss, other peoples reactions, and own perceptions) (YES)
    • Coping with side effects of treatment (YES)
    • Supplements/treatments to counteract side effects of Hormone Therapy (YES - ALTHOUGH MY OWN EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN TIME AND EXERCISE HELPS...JUST ME?)
    • Genetics (YES! INCLUDING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TUMOUR GENOTYPING E.G. ONCOTYPE DX AND WHY THIS COST IS NOT SUPPORTED BY MEDICARE OR PRIVATE FUNDS, AND BROADER GENETIC TESTING WHICH IS SUPPORTED TO A LIMITED DEGREE - 7 GENES)
    • Prioritising self-care (to steal a discussion title) and exercise/nutrition (YES)
    • Effective mindfulness/meditation (YES. WISH I WAS BETTER AT THIS!)
    • What financial assistance is available for ongoing treatment, ie. subsidies, health care plans, etc. (THE GAP BETWEEN MEDICARE AND COSTS IS GROWING AND IF INCURRED OUTSIDE OF HOSPITAL ADMISSION IS NOT COVERED BY PRIVATE FUNDS.  THE TAX OFFSET FOR EXCESS MEDICAL COSTS IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE - QUIETLY REMOVED BY RECENT GOVT - SO WHO IS KEEPING TRACK OF THE FINANCIAL BURDENS IMPOSED ON THOSE OF US ON THE CANCER TREADMILL)
    • I'm not sure how it would fit but from reading threads, it seems that too many people are having the limits of living after active treatment dismissed.  A discussion, perhaps? (AGREE).
      I probably can't get to Adelaide in August.  Hope it goes very well. Cheers MvB
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hopefully if I’m well enough I would like to attend.
    Shall put in my diary.
    Will put thinking cap on.
    Any idea of venue?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Not sure if you have a theme planned 

Suggest a topic around social media, google et cetera to direct users to correct information

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 196
    A session on breast reconstruction would be great - there are many options today, and new technologies emerging which have increased our choices.
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    Agree a breast reconstruction session would be great. 
    Paula :)
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    @Sister, @Romla, @MvB, @Shellshocked2018_ , @iserbrown, @Alpal, @mum2jj I wanted to let you know BCNA has changed the dates for the Adelaide Conference from the first weekend in August to the last weekend in July (27th and 28th). We did so to take advantage of being able to access the expertise of Health Professionals attending the Breast Cancer Trails Scientific Conference from 24-26th July. I do hope we have given you enough notice to be able to attend if you are planning to do so. Thank you for all your suggestions. Rosie         
  • Romla
    @Rosie_BCNA we booked a trip to Cairns for 24/7 to 23/8 so still can’t come.Any chance conference papers can be looked at online or teleconference/ videoconferencing ? Am so disappointed to miss out.
  • Romla
    I’d like some input of different fillers /coatings on generic hormone therapy drugs eg Letrozole and their impact on side effects.

• Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    @Romla hopefully the trip away will b great. I will pass you questions and requests on.